Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 year Cadillac 472 that will not turn the starter over fast enough to crank when the engine is hot. I have checked and tightened all the fittings; battery is good. Car cranks very fast when cold, but once hot the starter will barely turn over. If I let it set for an hour, it will crank. I suspect it may be heat related, but need a way to verify that if someone can offer any advice.

I have tried pulling the coil wire off while hot and the starter still will not turn over fast. Timing is advanced to 14 degrees, slight performance cam, and an Edelbrock intake. Factory exhaust manifolds that are well away from the starter, and I do not have any heat shield over starter. The starter was replaced with an Autozone reman recently. Unfortunately, I cannot answer if it did this the first few times I cranked the car.

Any suggestions on how to tell, or what to check next?

Thanks in advance.
David

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
hgdmartin said:
I have a 1973 year Cadillac 472 that will not turn the starter over fast enough to crank when the engine is hot. I have checked and tightened all the fittings; battery is good. Car cranks very fast when cold, but once hot the starter will barely turn over. If I let it set for an hour, it will crank. I suspect it may be heat related, but need a way to verify that if someone can offer any advice.

I have tried pulling the coil wire off while hot and the starter still will not turn over fast. Timing is advanced to 14 degrees, slight performance cam, and an Edelbrock intake. Factory exhaust manifolds that are well away from the starter, and I do not have any heat shield over starter. The starter was replaced with an Autozone reman recently. Unfortunately, I cannot answer if it did this the first few times I cranked the car.

Any suggestions on how to tell, or what to check next?

Thanks in advance.
David
Common heat soak issue. Starters tend to fail with age and they always work worse when hot. Most likely you need to replace it. you can try to fashion some sort of shield to insulate it from the manifold heat but usually it is a band aid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a 70 caddy with a rebuilt to stock 472. It's been at least 10years since the rebuild. It typically slows down, sometimes petty dramatically, on hot starts. But unless the starter fails it should still start. I agree with the last guy, exchange the starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.