Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

So now that I found a way to fit the truck in my garage (goodbye extended bed), I have begun the tear-down. I have removed the front body and then I hit a snag. I cannot for the life of me get the steering pulled from this truck!!! It is seized beyond belief and I have run out of ideas.

I am not concerned with salvaging it as I intend to either slide the cab back or move the suspension forward so I will at the very least need a modified setup.

Any ideas?

I'll get some pictures up of the places I'm struggling with.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Welcome..moving on to another section where guys can help you.. Hot wrench a BFH works for me in this case.

Sam

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you don't have a torch a cut-off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder is the next best thing before a sawzall in my opinion.

Be sure you are using the right side of the wheel and not the left so the grinder won't hurt you if the wheel catches. If you don't understand what mean the grinder should be trying to pull away from you while it is cutting and not pushing towards you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Then! I am in need of my, ahem, first torch :embarrass. Any suggestions on a favorite one out there? I'll go pick it up tomorrow.

Also I saw something called a Mini-Ductor II... Yes - No???

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If it is not a Victor set it does not belong in my shop..

Welders Direct: Victor 250 Medium Duty Outfit

That little set will do everything you need to do on your build..

A bit bigger set is this..

Welders Direct: Journeyman Outfit 540/510

Master welding and cutting with one of those sets and then you will be able to move on to MIG/TIG in the future with not so many issues..Of course if you master the torch you will never need to have anything else in your shop..

Sam

·
Registered
437 Posts
The steering column and steering box are one piece on those trucks right? Remove the steering wheel and everything attached to the steering box and slide it out of the cab

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The steering column and steering box are one piece on those trucks right? Remove the steering wheel and everything attached to the steering box and slide it out of the cab
I tried that and ofcourse... Everything is seized up. I am waiting to get my torch so that I can afford a decent one instead of settling for a walmart special. I would have gotten it this weekend but I got an offer I couldnt refuse for a cleaned up 440 block in excellent condition . I'll post pictures of it once I get it in the garage.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,515 Posts
i bought a torch set 14 yrs ago, when i first started on truk, still has the original gas in the tanks
best cheap cutting tool out there is 4.5 inch grinder with a 6 inch cutting wheel on it
harbor fright has cheap grinders, pick up 3 of them; cutoff, grinding and wire wheel

as 455olds mentioned the column is attached to the box
if you can't get the wheel off cut the column above the box and pull it up, then cut the box off and scrap it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The grinder did the trick!!! Well now that I have that out of the way I SHOULD be able to move my cab back and get some real work done. The teardown is taking too long.

Oh and if I seem like a happier guy from now on it's because I'm leaving my wife for the grinder :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey if anyone wants the old rusty block and transmission it's all yours. All you have to do is pull it out yourself :D

·
Dimwit
S10 to late '30s coupe
192 Posts
best cheap cutting tool out there is 4.5 inch grinder with a 6 inch cutting wheel on it
harbor fright has cheap grinders, pick up 3 of them; cutoff, grinding and wire wheel
I agree with this completely. I took this same advice (buy three) about two years ago and have never regretted the purchase, although I will say I prefer the $10 grinders over the $15 ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Alright then! Moving forward on the Memorial Day weekend. The motor and transmission are gone!

Now I have plenty of time to try and figure out how I'm going to do the suspension???

Any ideas?

Please keep in mind that it is my intention to use about 40" tires (commercial semis) on the back AND front so the suspension will be up front and center. Yes, I said 40" tires and I'd like the body no more than 6" from the floor. Should look ridiculous.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well folks, Im going to pick up an SS 396 (bored to 412?) for the project tomorrow!!! Wish me luck. The autoshop at the college down the street just bored it and cleaned it all up now I reap the benefits.

It should be interesting trying to fit the block inside the back of an '05 VW Beetle for transportation... aaaand queue the laughter :)

·
1948 KB-1 International Pickup
191 Posts
pull the motor & trans, remove the fluid. Put it it the back of a pick up and scrap it. Now you have a Free grinder & a 12 pack!!
Excellent advice on scrapping the engine. On my 48 International pickup/hot rod on a 96 Dakota chassis, I have scrapped and Ebayed all the leftover parts to the point of making a profit over what I paid for the two trucks. Free project...no, the pretty things keep costing more and more!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts