Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got myself a Rat rod project and i havent done anything like this before. Im not sure about the origin of my flat head engine accept the guy said its a 48 merc ab... I need to get a new fuel pump, as this one is leaking.. but i dont know where to start. Im hoping for some general advice on fixing up this old car, and specifically how to tell exactly what this engine is : as the information on some of the other parts wasnt accurate. (Ive got a`27 T cab .. model t fenders custom made truck bed, and hand made frame)

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
One clue. On 48 and earlier Ford/merc flatheads the radiator/water outlets are in the top center of the heads. On later engines the outlets are forward on the top front of the heads.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Every flathead is a Mercury, isn't it? Well, at least until you open it up that is.
48 Ford Car/Mercury flatheads are the same, 3 3/16" bore, end of block has integral bellhousing, water outlets on heads are in the center of the head on top (although 49-53 heads can be put on 39-48 blocks with a little mod to the RH head). They use wide fan belts.
1949 Ford car engines and 1949-52 pickup engines use wide fan belts as well. The water outlets in the heads of 49-53 Ford car and pickup engines are dismountable thermostat housings mounted at the front of the heads.
1950-53 car engines and 53 pickup engines use narrow modern style fan belts.
The 49-53 Mercury engines have the "famous" 4" stroke crankshaft and displace 255 cubic inches rather than the standard 239 of the Fords. These Merc cranks can be found in many 39-48 engines as well since the stroker Merc crank was a very popular hopup item.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
I have dealt with Midwest Early Ford and found them to be a great resource for parts and information. Give them a call and he'll ask the right questions to get you the right part. http://www.midwestearlyford.com/

These folks have a great online catalog for early Ford stuff. The catalogs sometimes are a good source along with the info here for identifying what you've got.
http://www.cgfordparts.com/Early_Ford_Parts.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Every flathead is a Mercury, isn't it? Well, at least until you open it up that is.
48 Ford Car/Mercury flatheads are the same, 3 3/16" bore, end of block has integral bellhousing, water outlets on heads are in the center of the head on top (although 49-53 heads can be put on 39-48 blocks with a little mod to the RH head). They use wide fan belts.
1949 Ford car engines and 1949-52 pickup engines use wide fan belts as well. The water outlets in the heads of 49-53 Ford car and pickup engines are dismountable thermostat housings mounted at the front of the heads.
1950-53 car engines and 53 pickup engines use narrow modern style fan belts.
The 49-53 Mercury engines have the "famous" 4" stroke crankshaft and displace 255 cubic inches rather than the standard 239 of the Fords. These Merc cranks can be found in many 39-48 engines as well since the stroker Merc crank was a very popular hopup item.
LOOK AT FAN BELT SIZES AGAIN !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts