Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Are you concerned about the position of the 'X" and the overall length of the engine/trans? OR physically getting the SBC between the rails?

Better get out your favorite tape measure...

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
I have a friend with a newly aquired '49 Ford with a flathead. I do not know what to do right off hand to get your combo to work. I'm sure it can be 'done' and HAS BEEN done in the past. It would be safe to say there will be some welding and fabrication in your future. I can look under the '49 and size it up, but it's not at my shop. That is if the '48 & '49 are the same.

Maybe there is a kit? I dunno.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Okee-doke then. Well, Hollywood will have to measure once and cut twice.

Or is it the other way 'round? :D

Seems like his engine/trans would fit without hacking up a perfectly good frame.. I have no real good reference.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
48 Ford COUPE....

Hi,i have a 48 ford long door coupe,with the same engine and trans that you are using.i had to cut the center of the X out,because that was the only way to remove the trans without taking the engine out too.i only cut the center 12 inches on both sides,then rewelded each side front and rear to itself.making a kinda lazy sideways V.then i made a nice strong cross member for the trans to sit on,.while tying both sides together.. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.