Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elsewhere on this forum there is a long discussion from 3 years ago where I was troubleshooting my brake system. Car is a '48 Lincoln Continental with a Mustang II front end, 9" Ford rear with drums (probably '74 Torino). In the previous thread, over a period of several weeks I went from a stock 74 Mustang front disc setup to Wilwood 11" brakes and a 7" dual frame mounted booster. I was dealing with low vacuum to the booster and eventually sorted that out. Performance went from "mechanical brakes" level to OK hydraulic brake performance- nearly impossible to lock the wheels, but somewhat adequate. I've driver the car several years like this and only once had a hair raising stop when someone pulled in front of me.

I still think the performance could be better and may finally have figured out what the problem is. I've found that the brakes perform much better under severe use, such as a couple of panic stops. After warming the brakes up like this, it's possible to lock the rear wheels (still not the front) , and the front hauls you down nicely despite not locking. My conclusion is that the Wilwood brake pads are a racing formulation or close to it, so they don't perform well under everyday street use (the first stop of the day can be quite harrowing).

Best I can tell, there are only 2 other pad formulations made for this caliper and they are all more racing oriented than mine (BP-10). Anyone with Wilwood experience care to weigh in?
Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Several ways to go other than different pads. First, have you looked into a larger booster? Understand there isn't much room under the car but if you can upgrade to a duel 8" booster it will give you 26 percent more area. If your M/C is 1 1/8" bore you may want to look at a 1" bore which will up your pressure a bit. Last, because stopping is mandatory Have you considered converting to hydroboost?

Sweet ride!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several ways to go other than different pads. First, have you looked into a larger booster? Understand there isn't much room under the car but if you can upgrade to a duel 8" booster it will give you 26 percent more area. If your M/C is 1 1/8" bore you may want to look at a 1" bore which will up your pressure a bit. Last, because stopping is mandatory Have you considered converting to hydroboost?

Sweet ride!

Unfortunately a larger booster simply won't fit in the frame rails. I did (at the last moment) realize I needed a 1" bore and changed my order before it arrived. Don't know a thing about hydroboost but will check into it. Seems like I may end up with a hanging pedal and booster on the firewall.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,812 Posts
The BP-10 compound should be the right one assuming there wasn't a mix up.
For the price of a local parts house pad at $20 it would be worth trying and see if the performance is too your liking. You would know by the end of the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Got to thinking about booster and M/C location. They do NOT have to be right next to the pedal. The rod from the pedal to the booster can be several feet long if there is more room for a bigger booster back further. Did that on my Willys, they were just in front of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My neighbor is 6'5". Brack needed a big car to build. I found him a very nice original 1935 Packard Victoria cabriolet coupe...121" wheel base, 5000 pounds, an original driver.
The day he got it back from Western New York, I ordered a crate 502/502, 700R4.
Used a 12" booster on the firewall with equalizer block. 9" Ford axle. Fat Man IFS with C5 Corvette IFS.
A fine Lux-O-Rod 2 years later.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Plant Hood Sculpture Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts