Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have a '48 Dodge 4dr car,suicide doors, 2 piece hood, perfect body, no drivetrain. I've never built a custom or hotrod car before, but I can ,and will ,do all the work myself . I bought this car just to do all custom things that you guys do. My question is : what sub frame will fit in front ? How do I go about finding one that will fit ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'48 subframe ?

I went to the site you referred to, very interesting, good information, BUT it still dosen't help me pick out the right " donor car " . There has to be a way to narrow the field, other than carrying a tape measure around. So far I have got it down to :70 or 71 or newer, to get disc brakes, up to about 80 to stay away from those Mcpherson strut things and a the midsized car like the firebird, mustang, camaro, cutlass.......Am I going in the right direction here ?????????

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
any camaro , nova , firebird from 68 till struts. all pretty much the same.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'48 subframe ?

Thanks guys, there's some new stuff there for me to digest, guess i"ll go back and look and measure the car some more . I do want to stay away from buying a factory made kit, although it may be easier, I still want to try "junkyard " parts, if that makes any sense (?). thanks.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Makes a lot of sense to me to want to use wrecking yard pieces..but it is some more work over just buying a piece from somewhere..

Listen to what shine said on that..the nova subframes are a bit narrower and the disk brake deal on those has been done numerous times..

WE do carry our tape measures when shopping as it is good to check twice cut once..

Sam

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
You havn't mentioned what drivetrain that you want to use. If you go with a Nova/Camaro subframe, a Chevy drivetrain is a drop in. If you want to stick with a Chrysler engine, you may want to go in a different direction.......

Guess what I am saying, you need an overall plan first, before you decide anything.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am in the process of redoing my 50 Plymouth and have already installed a junkyard 1978 Mustang II crossmember/ power steering and planning a 500 Caddy powerplant. Seems to be fitting fine so far. I put the same in my Henry J and only had to notch and replate the cross for about 6inches to allow the 350 Chevy engine to fit. Many places sell 5 bolt rotors new along w/other brake parts needed. Hope this helps with options.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
knighthawk said:
I went to the site you referred to, very interesting, good information, BUT it still dosen't help me pick out the right " donor car " . There has to be a way to narrow the field, other than carrying a tape measure around. So far I have got it down to :70 or 71 or newer, to get disc brakes, up to about 80 to stay away from those Mcpherson strut things and a the midsized car like the firebird, mustang, camaro, cutlass.......Am I going in the right direction here ?????????
Your 48 frame is almost like that on the 46. If you will look at that site close it does give what donors were used and he gives step by step info as well as pictures. He used a 76 Firebird subframe. Copy and paste this url and it shows a list of all the donor stuff that was used. http://www.royshotrodgarage.com/Page10.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Henry, I did only skim the pages, planned to go back and make some notes. The question came up, about my choice of power train........well, I know I'm going to some feedback on this, but I'd really like to see a "nailhead" in it. My other choice is the 472 ( or 500 ) caddy, but I didn't think it would fit, I'll have to watch "Dragon J '' with his 500 project. I'd like the 401 nailhead, about ' 65, if it would work, I think it would really look good. Lets hear some thoughts on this..........

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Hey....If you want a nailhead Buick...then go for it. I like them they reek old school...nostalga :thumbup: It will cost a lot more to build than a sbc and you will have to hunt for performance goodies...but in the end..it will be cool. Remember the main rule of hotrodding is...There is no rules...build it like you want it. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again Henry, I went back and took a closer look at that web site, and that is what ,and how , I want to do it, to use parts from different vehicles. I guess my next step is to see which donor car I can find. Next question : I still have the original '48 rear axle under the car, minus the wheels. When it comes time to level everthing for the "cut'', will the old rear axle be close enough or should I get the newer axle ( from a donor car ) under it first ??

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
'' 48 subframe ?

Well, I guess it's "good news, bad news " time guys ! Good news, I think I got enough help from you guys to get me started on the subframe job. Bad news is , I started to strip down the '48, got the front end off, noticed the floorboards look like swiss cheese. I'm afraid all these years sitting in the field has done more damage than I thought. New question: can we continue this thread and disscuss the options here ? Like a possible frame AND floor pan swap ? Have you guys done that ? I assume, I will need a different donor car, one with matching wheel base ( 120'' ) AND tread width ? How hard is that going to be to find !!

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
'48 Dodge donor frame?

knighthawk said:
Well, I guess it's "good news, bad news " time guys ! Good news, I think I got enough help from you guys to get me started on the subframe job. Bad news is , I started to strip down the '48, got the front end off, noticed the floorboards look like swiss cheese. I'm afraid all these years sitting in the field has done more damage than I thought. New question: can we continue this thread and disscuss the options here ? Like a possible frame AND floor pan swap ? Have you guys done that ? I assume, I will need a different donor car, one with matching wheel base ( 120'' ) AND tread width ? How hard is that going to be to find !!
We can continue this hear as it would fall into this category.

Using a donor frame and floor plan swap is continually debated on this site. Try using the search feature to find former threads. I think I remember you may be able to use the S10 frame or possibly a Dodge Dakota frame.

Is there something wrong with your frame or is it just the fact that the floorboards are shot? Using a donor frame and floorboards usually will be a lot more work than using your original frame and replacing the floorboards. As well trying to match things up leads to a piece meal look.

There will be others that will disagree and some that will agree.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as of right now, I think it's just the floorboards, like I say, I just now started to take some of the car apart, haven't really been under it yet. But, as big as the frame appears, I can't imagine it been rusted through ! I haven't brought it in the main shop area yet, as I was thinking of stripping a donor car first. The '48 is parked inside, but in the other side of this old barn I fixed up . I'll have to take a closer look under it, would really like to stay with the subframe plan........ but would like to consider all options, as you know , plans do change......

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
If you have a mig welder, a torch, and a grinder you can make your own floorboards. 3/32---1/8 sheet steel works good.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Yep....that would be nice........cut down on your grinding time a lot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts