Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Southern Man
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 49 is a stock 239 flathead changed to 12v it has a one wire alt., it had a 6v solenoid on it and it quit so I bought a 12v sol. for a 56 f100, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I have to hook the (I) post to the 12v coil (+) side, because on the old sol. it had just one post (S) that went to the starter button, also if I do run (I) to the (+) side of coil do I hook it directly to the coil or hook it to the ballast resistor between the coil and dist. help me please :D JoJo

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

You Should need the "I" Side of the solenoid, If your system is stock points..

This wire provides a "Hot Shot" to the coil in Crank mode, and makes it easier to start, especially on first start of the day, cold mornings..

Hook the "I" wire to the + side of the coil, AFTER the Ballast resistor..This circuit is only active when the solenoid is in use (Starting) and is inactive when the key is released from "Start"..

The ballast is connected to the "Run" or Ignition side of the circuit to drop the voltage from the 12 volt input to 6 to 9 volts to protect the coil and points from premature failure. It is active any time the key is on in "Ignition".

Doc :pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.