Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow gearheads. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of information about using my parallel leaf/straight axle front end with a few mods. I't doing to be dropped by remnoving leaves. I'm wondering how this front end will react. Good/bvad experiences with them. I do plan on upgrading to tube shocks and dics brakes.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
binder mods

I dont recommend removing leaves from your suspension to lower the vehicle. IF your springs are mounted under the axle, its a simple matter of just using lowering blocks as you would on the rear. IF the springs are mounted over the axle, you could relocate the springs under the axle, and it would lower your vehicle the amount equal to the thickness of the axle and spring package combined. Doing this could cause you to run into problems of hitting the frame rails though, especially if the springs are axle over, in stock condition. Another problem you would run into with this is your steering geometry will be thrown off, so that will require some realignment, even to the point of having to relocate your steering box.
You might check with a company that makes leaf springs and see if they make a reversed eye spring that would work with your vehicle.
Reversed meaning the eyes are on the lower side of the main instead of on top. This would drop you at least a couple inches, without affecting all the other stuff mentioned previously, all that adversely.

IF you have the underslung springs, a simple lowering block of an inch or two would make a big difference in your ride height. Be sure to follow through on the rear as well, otherwise you will again throw off your steering geometry, requiring wedges put in between the springs and axle, to bring the axle back into proper posture with the road bed. The biggest effect would be in your caster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.