Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1949 mercury and have some questions. Where is a good place to buy some rocker panels and rear quarter panels? What are some good resources to learn how to go about chopping this thing? I have done chops on a couple VW bugs and this actually seems like it will be easier, but the more info I can get the better.

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
I have not done a Merc, but I have done a couple bugs. (Like chopping an egg) I would highly recomend a book called "How to Chop a Top" It has a great step by step pictoral. The book is fairly common. I have even seen it in mall book stores.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Andy you lucky dog, I love the Mercs. Chopping the top on Mercs are pretty easy due to their shape, if you've done V-dubs you can do the Merc without a problem, just keep a close eye on the doorframe, they are the hardest things to get right in my book. If you don't get them just right you get wind noise that will drive you nuts.

HK

·
Registered
102 Posts
The book mentioned above "How to Chop Tops" by Tex Smith is available from Speedway Motors. It covers a 49 Merc chop as well as many other cars and trucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one has rust in the rockers and rear quarters but all else is good. It went for $1000, but I have seen them go for quite a bit more. On eBay you can see junkyard ones go for $1500-$3000.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Man you got a sweet deal. If you find anothern yell at me, but not to loud, very sensetive ears.

Not tto sure if replacment body panels are made for those mercs because I never had any reason to look, but I'm sure they are made. check performance years or year one. Post some pictures if you can, lovem I tellya. If you can't find any body panels let me kknow and I'll walk you through rapairing them if you need the help.

HK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I can borrow the digicam from friend or find myself a scanner I'll post them up here. I also have another question though. I am not a huge fan of that front grill. I have seen quite a few with 53 desoto grills put in but it seems like obtaining one of those is harder than finding a merc. Any other suggestions for grills that look good on this thing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
WOW! That is great that you got a 49 Merc in that good of shape for $1000! I wish I could luck in to finding one that cheap! I usually find the ones you were referring to... $3000 for a completely trashed one.
:) Congrats Andy! I can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by BruiseAndy:
<strong>Once I can borrow the digicam from friend or find myself a scanner I'll post them up here. I also have another question though. I am not a huge fan of that front grill. I have seen quite a few with 53 desoto grills put in but it seems like obtaining one of those is harder than finding a merc. Any other suggestions for grills that look good on this thing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can check out this place.
<a href="http://www.sabertoothgrills.com/" target="_blank">http://www.sabertoothgrills.com/</a>

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: meanmachine666 ]

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: meanmachine666 ]</p>

·
Registered
171 Posts
here is the whole car with the grill.I am thinking about this for my 54 Pontaic.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: meanmachine666 ]</p>

·
Registered
11 Posts
49 merc parts

Andy;
You might try Mr. Merc out of North Dakota, they should have the items that you need, can get their number for you if you need it, I have it in my shop. Merc's chop nice but take time to do right. Double check every thing and than check again. Done right with the use of a tig welder and you can put it together with minimal filler. I use lead, the results are better. Lead is easy enough to learn. The book from Tex Smith that was mentioned is a pretty decent book. If you've done other chops you shouldn't have a problem with the Merc. Good Luck, like to see photo's of the progress.

Rob :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
49 merc 40,000 original miles 2 owners

Madd Syntst said:
I have not done a Merc, but I have done a couple bugs. (Like chopping an egg) I would highly recomend a book called "How to Chop a Top" It has a great step by step pictoral. The book is fairly common. I have even seen it in mall book stores.
I would like to know what info you might have on power steering? Gear box most important.It's got a small block chevy in it. any info would be apreciated!!

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
to my knowledge there are no panels made yet. i've seen other inquires about them. make your own patch panels. there is nothing easy about chopping the 49/50 merc. tex's book will help you avoid the usual mistakes. if your going to wire weld remember you cant hammer weld mig. too hard. do all the welding you can on the inside. less grinding and weakening of the weld. good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts