Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put together a 496 for my '72 Chevy. Have a 427 tall deck block that I am pretty much set on using. Have a dizzy and manifold spacers and space isn't an issue so I see no reason to not use the tall deck block. It was free, is standard bore, and .030 will easily clean up the bores. Would like to get 450 to 500 HP and be knocking on 600 ft lbs of torque.

I am thinking about using these rods, pistons, and crank.

SCAT Engine Components 2-ICR6800-7/16 Scat Pro Comp I-Beam Connecting Rods | Summit Racing

Keith Black/KB Pistons KB398KTD-030 Keith Black KB Performance Piston and Ring Kits | Summit Racing

SCAT Engine Components 9-454-4250-6385 Scat Series 9000 Cast Pro Comp Stroker Lightweight Crankshafts | Summit Racing

The engine will never see more than about 5K rpm, maybe 5500 max. Will have the rotating assembly balanced.

Is this a good combo for a low rpm budget build?

For heads, I have a set of near new peanut ports that I will try my hand at porting. If they work out, great, if they leave me looking for more in the future, I will swap them out for a set of Summit/Merlin/Dart iron heads.

Any holes in my plan?

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Looks good to me, parts dimension stack works out for the tall deck block.

I don't like the hyper pistons, but that is a personal choice.

You might look at the Skip White stroker assmbly's, they come with a forged Wiseco piston and one of the short deck kits comes with a1.280" comp height in both 16 and 20cc dome version, so I know he has the piston available that would work for you. I don't know if he has the rod though.
His kits are a good deal because they include rings, bearings, balancer, flexplate. He may be able to set you up with a nice deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good to me, parts dimension stack works out for the tall deck block.

I don't like the hyper pistons, but that is a personal choice.

You might look at the Skip White stroker assmbly's, they come with a forged Wiseco piston and one of the short deck kits comes with a1.280" comp height in both 16 and 20cc dome version, so I know he has the piston available that would work for you. I don't know if he has the rod though.
His kits are a good deal because they include rings, bearings, balancer, flexplate. He may be able to set you up with a nice deal.
Will take a look for sure.

Any problem with hyper pistons at my target power level and RPM? I know forged are obviously better, but seem like they might be overkill...

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Probably not going to be any problem at your power level for the hypers.

Forged just buys you insurance.....something goes wrong like too lean, bad batch of gas, distributor shakes loose and moves, etc and you run the engine into detonation can kill the hypers quicker than you feel it happen.
I've been there once, in the total cost of buyilding an engine, the $100 savings between the KB Hyper and a forged piston just isn't worth it. Used a KB hyper to save $100 on a 450+HP 406 SBC build, rattled it on a hot day and broke two of the pistons and the result split one cylinder wall.
Never again for me.

it's one thing to throw a 350 or 383 stroker SBC together on the cheap with $100-200 claimer hypers.....it's a totally different thing to put a BBC stroker together with a $450 hyper versus a same cost or within $100 forged.
In fact, the Wiseco forged 1.280" compression height 16 and 20cc dome pistons from Skip White are just $480....by the time you figure a $100/set plasma moly ring to match the KB ,package you are looking at a bullet proof forged piston and ring package that is just $75 more than the potentially fragile hypers.....that's not a good place to skimp IMO

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Why piece this together? You can buy a complete balanced 496 kit with Scat crank and rods, forged pistons, bearing, rings, balancer, and flexplate for $1500 from Skip White.
The fly in the ointment on just using a pre-configured kit from Skip White is the fact that 1972RedNeck is using a Tall Deck truck block.
Which means he needs a different connecting rod or rod and piston combo than what is more normally seen in the regular passenger car blocks.

The one place I know of with an extensive list of pre-configured stroker kits, CNC Motorsports, has 128 496 BBC kits listed....but only two are 6.800" rod tall deck kits, and both are all forged components @ a $2100+ kit price.
I did find one 6.535" rod tall deck kit at CNC Motorsports for slightly less, all forged Eagle crank and rods but it was -3cc flat top, for just under $2k.

A lot of vendors can probably do the cast crank tall deck kit , but you are likely going to have to call them, it won't just be a pre-made kit that they already have a listing for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In fact, the Wiseco forged 1.280" compression height 16 and 20cc dome pistons from Skip White are just $480....by the time you figure a $100/set plasma moly ring to match the KB ,package you are looking at a bullet proof forged piston and ring package that is just $75 more than the potentially fragile hypers.....that's not a good place to skimp IMO
Definitely makes sense.

Why piece this together? You can buy a complete balanced 496 kit with Scat crank and rods, forged pistons, bearing, rings, balancer, and flexplate for $1500 from Skip White.
To tell the truth I haven't built an engine in quite a few years and am out of the loop. Glad I posted on here to see some more options. Think Skip White would put together a 6.8" rod tall deck kit?

Also, when they balance the rotating assembly, is it internal or external? I have a manual so it would be easiest if it is setup for a zero balanced flexplate/flywheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.