Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, greetings from Tasmania, Au.

I have a 4L60 box - V6 GM combo fitted to Toyota Hilux, not long bought. The problem I have is when going down hill at any speed and take my foot off the trottle it does not change down gears, neither it will change manually. As a result, the car free wheel down hill with the only option is to use the brake, not a good thing! Access to mechanical workshop is a long way away.
On a flat road all changes happen as they should.

Any pointers as to where to start checking would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

wdl

·
Administrator
9,875 Posts
Are you talking of a 4L60 tranmssion with a TV cable to the carb on the engine? Or a 4L60E trans, electronic controlled?

Going down a hill , the trans does not know to down shift on it's own.

If manually shifting down to a lower gear, does nothing at any speed?

you should be able to down shift manually, while applying the brakes to slow the vehicle

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
Hi all, greetings from Tasmania, Au.

I have a 4L60 box - V6 GM combo fitted to Toyota Hilux, not long bought. The problem I have is when going down hill at any speed and take my foot off the trottle it does not change down gears, neither it will change manually. As a result, the car free wheel down hill with the only option is to use the brake, not a good thing! Access to mechanical workshop is a long way away.
On a flat road all changes happen as they should.

Any pointers as to where to start checking would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

wdl
Is this a 4L60E electronic control or the 700R4/4L60 mechanical control gear box?

Manual down shift, how far do you fall back on the gear command? Some of these will not manually downshift till second gear is selected.

Bogie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts