Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..
I am a DIY'er 700R4 and 4l60 rebuilder and never really had any problems afterwards. I just rebuilt my first 4L60E out of a 1997 Chevy Z71 for my dad-in-law and it works great.... except for a 4th gear shift problem. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shift are perfect in OD, D, or manual shifting from 1 to 2 to D to OD. But once in 4th it seems like it goes back down to 3rd early. If cruise is applied it will hold 4th perfect down to as low as 40 MPH, If your using foot for gas it wants to go back to 3rd momentarily and then back to 4th. If in 3rd or 4th and brakes are applied, the tach will jump a couple hundred RPM's and hold for a second or two, then the engine slows. There is no slipping in any gears and upon acceleration all downshifts are nice and firm. The reason for rebuild is Tranny cooler line got ripped out and after replacing line and adding aux. cooler, there was no 2-3 shift.
Upon disassembly, I found a checkball lodged between the VB and the spacer plate. There was minor spacer plate damage and owner decided to straighten the plate rather than replace it. I don't remember the name but it was the center ball in the row of three next to each other. I believe it was 3rd accu. ball? Also, 3/4 clutches were gone. There was no other damage in tranny.
VB was completely disassembled and cleaned during rebuild. Torque converter was replaced, and new seals, gaskets, clutches, and steels thru entire tranny.

Owners says 4th gear did not do this previous to rebuild but its not noticable enough for him to worry about, but it bugs me knowing something might be wrong. Any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.