Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested the check ball capsule by pouring parts solvent through the passage. I did have a steady stream of solvent leak thru to the inside of the case. I am under the impression that there should be no leakage at all if the capsule is working.

Called one trans shop to see what it would cost to get replaced. He says to just replace the case because it is too hard to remove and install.

Other shop says could replace but he has only replaced one in 30years. Said it should be fine even with small leak.

Any opinions??

·
Administrator
9,977 Posts
They do tend to leak.. It takes a little bit of work to replace the capsule.

I've replaced the capsule several times. Machined up tools to pull the capsule and to drive the new capsule in with damage is the real trick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sonnax P/N 77701-076

Sonnax has a fix that I use on all 4l60e's I build P/N 77701-076. It eliminates the need for removal of the check ball capsole and installs under the separator plate in the cavity by tapping it into place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a video on youtube from transmissionbench.com. It shows you how to remove and install the check ball capsule from the case. It's not that hard to do. If it is leaking to the inside of the case, replace it. Regardless of how much it leaks. It will only leak more with time. Remember, doing a bench test of this capsule there is no fluid pressure. When the transmission is operating, the fluid is under pressure. Which it will leak even more and you'll have a pressure loss on the 3/4 clutch pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1AVEgDvPE

·
Registered
417 Posts
We replace every one, every time, in every case with a solid plug.

You can get the old ball capsule out with a regular 3/8" bolt. Just run the bolt into the capsule, drive it in with a hammer, turn it with a wrench to lock the threads into the tail end of the capsule. Then using a slide hammer, pull it out. Auto Zone sells 3/8" cup plugs that you can then install in place. They will never leak again after that. There are no detrimental side effects from making this modification.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts