Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new '95 trans, 4L60E with about 50k miles. I would like to use it in the Mazda. IS THERE ANYWAY IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT THE COMPUTER?? It seems a waste to not use it, but.... I have read about all I can find. Thanks.

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
Since the 4L60E has no shift governer, it must be controlled by the computer. There are stand alone computers made just for this application. Check Summit and Jegs. They both have them. Even though they are kinda pricey.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did check them out, and you're right, Very Pricey. I guess the best way out is to sell the 4l60e, and buy a 700r4 or 2004r. I considered the T5 manual, but the shifter tower is right in the middle of the torsion bar crossmember. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post. I believe that will work for me. Now I need to see if anyone sells these, and how much. Yes it would be good to keep it computer operated, but it seems to be less hastle this way. It is behind a vortec 4.3 that is in a B2200 mazda pickup, 1987 extend cab. The motor and trans came as a package, '94-94 blazer. Again thanks.

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
eliotmansfield said:
This document shows how to convert it into a full manual:
http://www.gearsmagazine.com/images/issues/5_2006/2006_05_04.pdf

Personally, i would rather leave it computer controlled. Ive seen the TCI controllers on ebay for around $500 which is reasonable.
yes it is a full manual shift. You still need to control the main line pressure. TransGo offers a kit that works well once it is setup properly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the kit by Trans-go, it seems priced ok. It is full manual shift, but that's ok too. They told me the shift can be adjusted to be hard or softer. The line pressure is control by a Mod 60. It seems the best way out, since I have a good trans, and this is cheaper than the stand alone trans computer. Does anyone have any pros or cons on this. I sure would like to hear them. A friend of mine does trans work and will be installing the kit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
4l60e

with a bit of work you can build a control box, the down side is no pressure control hard shifts ALL the time, I built a box to shift certain transmissions before they where made now I have a Shaffer shifter.

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
I've used the vacuum controlled conversion kit from TransGo...... it works well in many applications.

It can be touchy to setup for proper pressures. There is a pin to grind to adjust the pressure range the trans operates at... a little grinding makes a big change in the PSI.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were the instructions for the grinding of the pin included, how much grinding for certain shifts points, or just trial and error? Did you race yours? Mine will be for every day driving. I guess I'm just concerned about it shifting too hard. Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
grumpy1 said:
Were the instructions for the grinding of the pin included, how much grinding for certain shifts points, or just trial and error? Did you race yours? Mine will be for every day driving. I guess I'm just concerned about it shifting too hard. Thanks for the input.

You may misunderstand the TransGo manual shift kit for the 4L60E trans.

Every shift is by moving the shifter.

Grinding the pin length on the modified pressure control conversion that TransGo offers only controls the main line pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.