Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trans in my '95 Formula lost any gear above second two Christmases ago. The car sat until recently, when I installed a used 4L60E that the seller told me worked fine. Well, low and behold, it has the same issue i.e. won't shift into third. Manually putting the shifter selector in "3" and applying the gas results in the engine revving, but no gear engagement. There have been a few times when I thought it felt like 3 did catch after manually selecting it, but for all intents and purposes the trans will only give me 1st and 2nd gear.

I have been getting various types of advice from people about what the problem might be, but was referred here by another member who believes that there are some trans gurus who might have an intuitive sense of what is wrong.

It seems odd to me that the used replacement trans has the same problem as the original trans. But, people are telling me that this is the 3-4 clutches, and that this is a common problem on these transmissions after about 40k miles.

I'd like to get the car buttoned up before next month, when I will have a newborn daughter and no time to fiddle with the car.

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
Nothing odd about this to me:

You installed a used trans of unknown condition, although you were told was good.

When the 4L60 trans shifts to third gear , the band ( 2nd gear) is released.. .. With junk , burned out , no good 3-4 clutch pack, the engine will rev like it is in neutral.

The 3-4 clutch pack has been a failure point for 25+ years in this trans design.

If the 3-4 clutch pack is not burned out , then something else is not allowing that clutch to apply, the trans feels like it neutrals out.......... when actually it is back in first gear since the 3-4 clutch pack is not operating

post back when you can with repairs

:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir, for your reply. By odd I simply meant that I swapped one trans for another with the exact same problem. I would have thought that there would at least be some variety in the type of failure I experienced with the second unit i.e. the odds were against duplicating my original problem. Based on what I have heard from you and others, this used trans is a goner. It was a dice roll, I know, but I was hoping to save myself some scarce cash by going used. At least I did not pay much for this POS.

I believe that I will be using this as an excuse for a T56 swap, rather than spend a lot of money on rebuilding/replacing my slushbox.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
2ManyCars said:
I believe that I will be using this as an excuse for a T56 swap, rather than spend a lot of money on rebuilding/replacing my slushbox.
Then you'd better start looking for a Donor car to get the ECM and assorted thingys from. The minute you leave the trans connector unhooked is the minute your current ECM will start going nuts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a complete swap with a (supposedly) 100% good 60k original mile trans for $1300. There is a guy local to me who said that he can reflash my computer to work with the T56.

What do you do with the trans connector after the swap?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.