Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been searching for an answer to this question but have not found a clear one yet, I hope someone out there can help.

I have a 96 GMC Jimmy, Vortec 4.3, with an automatic transmission (that is burnt to a crisp). My question is... Can I use any 4L60E tranny? I have been told that it has to come out of a 96-97 Jimmy/Blazer or AWD van. Is this true? I have located a tranny from a 98 AWD van, will it work in my truck? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.:)

·
Administrator
9,801 Posts
4L60E trannys cannot be swapped around for certain years. Solenoid differences, lock up converter controls are different, cases are 2 or 3 piece design, input shaft , bell housing , converter changes too

In 96 GM changed the ohm rating on the 3-2 solenoid. Solenoids can be changed though

the 98 tranny should be a 3 piece case tranny with a removeable bell housing. I have never swapped an early 3 piece case into a vehicle with a 2 piece case. I do not recommend it, might work though.

I would find a matching year tranny for your van 96 or 97. A 95 could be used with a solenoid change since the 95 will have the PWM lock up system in the tranny for the converter.

Does your tanny have a solid, thick aluminum bolt on dust cover?

Your case will also have the ears trimmed off at the bell housing. that is easy to do if the replacement tranny has full width ears

·
Registered
379 Posts
save your self alot of trouble and rebuild what you have! If you have someone do it for you? make sure that person has experience with the 4L60E!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info. To answer your question, my tranny does not have a dust cover. It does have the removable bell housing though. Any other suggestions on what used tranny I can put in. I can't see paying $1500+ for a rebuild for a truck that has 160K on it. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent truck and runs great.

·
Administrator
9,801 Posts
Jessie said:
Thanks for all the info. To answer your question, my tranny does not have a dust cover. It does have the removable bell housing though. Any other suggestions on what used tranny I can put in. I can't see paying $1500+ for a rebuild for a truck that has 160K on it. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent truck and runs great.
It should have a dust cover at the front-bottom of the bell housing if it is a 3 peice case tranny

If you have a bolt on bell housing, then the tranny should have a 6 bolt tail housing pattern.

Early trannys with a 4 bolt tail housing pattern will not bolt in.

I am guessing this is a 4x4 truck since you are looking at an AWD tranny?

·
Registered
379 Posts
look around for a re builder! I`am sure there must be some independent Guy that wants to help you out for considerably less than $1500? anyway consider the fact that you may get someone else's problems with a swap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts