Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am a new member, I have been browsing here just havent really seen a need to put my two cents in most of the time someone has already said what i would have said given the discussion, in any event i need some help

I rebuilt a 4L60E it had worn clutches.
I replaced 1-2 solenoid, 3-4 solenoid.
Pressure solenoid.
Replaced band and all seals.
Trans is in 98 Astro 2wd(Moms van)

Drove good for 30ish miles. Trans overheated blew out about a quart of fluid.
She told me
2nd gear was slipping.
4th gear it was hard to maintain speed.

I drove it 1st was fine, reverse was fine, it reved a little high in first hit second and grinded.
I pulled it back apart and band is worn out. Black and friction material is down to metal in 2 spots and cracked.
I do not know why band wore out.
I applied air pressure 30psi to where fluid goes into servo on 2nd and 4th exhaust is not plugged and servo extended and retracted through both holes.
5 of the check balls are in correct spot. 2 fell when removing valve body.
No pinched wire on solenoids.

I am looking for advice or a flow chart on diagnosing why the band wore out.
I can provide more info/pictures if needed. I have GM book on rebuilding trans.
Thanks
SS

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
What was the original failure?

Was any of the common wear areas of the valve body addressed during this parts replacement?

Cut lip seals would cause this

Cut sealing rings would cause this

Did you check the accumulator pistons for excessive wear in the center holes for guide pins?

Check balls mis-located

:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
4l60e

how many miles before the rebuild? were the 3/4 clutchs burned up? I've had the imput sprag start slipping and fry the 2/4 band and warp the reverse imput drum so now i replace them on high mileage trans cheap insurance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im new at this, this is my first one i had a friend help me rebuild it but before i put it in he moved. I do believe 3rd&4th clucthes we burnt but not sure i can look through my box tomorrow. Not sure mileage on trans. possibly second rebuild. How do i go about inspecting accumulators

·
Registered
16 Posts
4l60e

look for wear in the piston where it rides on the rod in the 1/2 housing scouring in the aclumulator bore also in the case 3/4 acc so the 3/4 clutches were burned do you have the bonded piston's in the imput drum forward,overunand3/4 did you replace them the #7 check ball is right by the 4th apply port for the 2/4 band is it full of crap did you replace the teflon seals on the 2/4 servo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed that when i took the transmission apart the anchor pin wasn't flush it was 9/64 a little over 1/8" below the level of the case at the highest point where the valve body meets the case. The band was black and worn on the original rebuild and was worn past the friction material after the rebuild. Could this anchor pin being lower cause the band to wear out in 30 miles? I have another case if i replace case and change everything over to other case would it solve my problem?

Thankyou

·
Registered
472 Posts
trans

I have only built a few automatic trans,but have worked in shops and dealerships since 1972.All clutches and band must have trans oil or some lubricant .If the clutches and bands were fried where is the material. Some trans shops will not warranty the trans if the trans cooler is not replaced.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
SDLuck said:
I have only built a few automatic trans,but have worked in shops and dealerships since 1972.All clutches and band must have trans oil or some lubricant .If the clutches and bands were fried where is the material. Some trans shops will not warranty the trans if the trans cooler is not replaced.
most of the cars out there today with automatics have the trans cooler built into the radiator, and as long as it gets flushed out and the trans was brought into a trans shop as a "bench" unit to be built, the shop that built it will usually give the customer a can of cooler flush as part of the rebuild.
the only cooler i know of that usually needs replacing depending on the contamination levels, is the external cooler for the ford trucks with the 4r100 or 5r110w (theres a tsb on it).
most transmission shops dont replace radiators unless the lines are plugged or theres planetary damage and the contamiation was severe, or the internal trans cooler splits inside of the radiator and milkshakes the system.
so as long as the cooler lines get flushed out (and yes, we can tell if they were not flushed out), the trans shop isnt going to have a problem with warranty in that area.
also, unless theres a special bullitin in the rebuild kit that specifically states that the frictions need to be soaked, theres a lot of good quality builders out there that dont soak the frictions or bands on assembly and dont have trouble because they didnt. my dad always had a pan with atf for this, but others i know that do just as good of a job, dont without issue.
most of the time when you see damage from the get go is because of either improper assembly, or the trans was not filled up properly, or with enough fluid.
the majority of the 700r4/4l60e trans hold 11 1/2 qts or more depending on if it has a deep pan, or auxillary cooler.

·
Registered
472 Posts
trans

I currently work at the police garage and trans go out pretty fast on the crown vic,when we order a trans it come with a cooler and a in line filter that must be installed in the correct line or no warranty,I also checked with some people I know that have trans shop they assured me that it is required that the cooler in the rad be replaced on some model cars,so opinions very .This is the norm in some shops I can assure you..My question is if the trans is burnt up where is the trash don't think the filter caught it all. I had to pull the gov out of a few trans here at work that were bench job and the guy that installed them didn't flush the system out and the wouldn't shift after about 7 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are 8 (if I recall) checkballs. 7 in the lower valve body and one above the seperator plate by the 3-4 accumulator. Did you remove the seperator plate?

You should have also soaked your friction plates and anything with friction material for 15 mins in tranny fluid. Not soaking them before can destroy them like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.