Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt a 4l60e trans for my 99 tahoe.. it was slipping in 3rd and 4th. The rebuild when very well and installed new TC also. Filled it with fluid and started the vehicle. Problem is that it does not operate in any gear...not even in "limp mode".. with the vehicle running the fluid level went down as it should. I assumed it was the TC... so i removed the tranny to find that the TC was completely emply. I specifically remember adding fluid to the TC so now im in question of maybe the pump went out all of a sudden. any helpful info will be appreciated.. thanks

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
if the converter is empty , the pump is not working or the passages are clogged where the oil is pumped into the converter.

Did you hook a pressure gauge to the trans before removal?

have you looked inside the pump to see if the rotor is broken?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt put a guage on....im pickin up a new pump today along with the replace tc. will install in the morn and see how she does...
its just wierd... all was working when i took the tranny out to rebuild.
any ideas.?

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
pjposton said:
I recently rebuilt a 4l60e trans for my 99 tahoe.. it was slipping in 3rd and 4th. The rebuild when very well and installed new TC also. Filled it with fluid and started the vehicle. Problem is that it does not operate in any gear...not even in "limp mode".. with the vehicle running the fluid level went down as it should. I assumed it was the TC... so i removed the tranny to find that the TC was completely emply. I specifically remember adding fluid to the TC so now im in question of maybe the pump went out all of a sudden. any helpful info will be appreciated.. thanks
i read here that you say you filled the trans and then started it. did you add any more to it after you started it? how much fluid did you put in total? these will hold an average of 11 1/2-13 qts total fluid from a empty trans and converter and cooler lines.
if you had that much fluid in it, i dont see how you didnt have a big puddle under your tahoe from the lack of the pump not working, and the converter not having any fluid in it.

*edit* is this tahoe 4x4/AWD? if so, did you change out the input seals on the t-case? in over 90% of these that i r&r, the input seals are hard as a rock, and the t-case overfull. good thing to do while its out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea its a 4wd. and i added atleast 11 qts to the tranny when i put it in. the level was goin down while the vehicle was running so i dont know why the tc and the lines ended up empty.
do you think it pumped all the fluid to the trans case ?

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
pjposton said:
yea its a 4wd. and i added atleast 11 qts to the tranny when i put it in. the level was goin down while the vehicle was running so i dont know why the tc and the lines ended up empty.
do you think it pumped all the fluid to the trans case ?
well, 1 way to find out is to take out the fill cap on the t-case and see how much if any comes out. im really suprized putting that much fluid in that it didnt have any come out of the vent.
you mentioned that the level was going down while the vehicle was running but yet there was no fluid in the converter or cooler lines. once you had the 11 qts in, where did the fluid read on the stick while running?
if the level reads overfull, hook up a pressure guage and see if you are getting any main line pressure. its right by the shift linkage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well im back on here guys... reinstalled the tranny with new tc and pump...
all gears work great except 2nd. it sounds like the band isnt applying inside.
I took the servo out to check for seal damage but all looks fine... took valve body off to check the accumulator and all is well there also.
reinstalled vavle body and now the noise is coming in 3rd gear...with vibration.
any ideas.. im outta options now.

also... its throwing a crank corr. code. i replaced the crack post sensor yest...but the engine light is still on... will this have any affect on the shifting and engageing of this tranny?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.