Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
YUP.. it's a Buick
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 4l80E with the transgo kit that eliminates the electronics and makes it a manual shifted transmission. it uses a th400 vacuum modulator to control line pressure so that you have normal shifts under light throttle and firmer shifts as you get into it. it has a billet lockup converter with a 2800 rpm stall speed and of course the lockup clutch assy. I need to figure out how to manually lockup the converter when cruising but i'm not sure if the lockup solenoid takes a constant 12 volts or if it takes a different signal. I don't want to ruin a 1000 dollar converter or hurt a spendy tranny.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Hook upa 12 volt feed to the solenoid... make sure to ground the solenoid too

Use a toggle switch or what ever may work for your application

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
SSedan64 said:
How much does the TransGo Manual kit cost? Think about dropping a 4L80E in my 71 Cheyenne. I've seen these "Ross-Lock" kits, they don't eliminate the Electronics so you can use a controller later if wanted. >> http://www.rosslertrans.com/index.htm about mid page. A little pricey for a tiny box but, R&D cost too.

I would check one of the web sites for parts that you frequently post here for a price. i do not know off the top of my head.

most folks go non lock up with a full manual shift kit in the 4l80e

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Crosley I see what you mean about going Non-Lockup. Sounds like a very firm shifting kit. :D
This is from TransGo's site>>>
KIT = 4L80E-3
Application= 4L80E & 4L85E 91-up
Features = Stick Shift; Full race; Competition,Off road and Pro-street. Full manual control. If you have some POWER: It’ll rattle your teeth.

Found it here. > http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/T34173E.html
A little cheaper here. >> http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=4L80E-3&dds=1
I guess the Ross-Lock isn't too pricey after all.

·
YUP.. it's a Buick
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the kit has the ability to install a th400 vacuum modulator to control line pressure for softer shifts under part throttle driving. Mine has this feature and it shifts just like a normal th400

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Bald Menace said:
Actually the kit has the ability to install a th400 vacuum modulator to control line pressure for softer shifts under part throttle driving. Mine has this feature and it shifts just like a normal th400

The TransGo kit does not use a T-400 design vacuum modulator on the full manual shift kit. It is a smaller vacuum modulator.

You must grind the modulator pin length to set the main line pressure parameters.

·
YUP.. it's a Buick
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry i guess i should have said th400 type vacuum modulator. it actually fits inside the case and has a nipple on the outside to attach a vacuum line. i didn't build it i just paid for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.