Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all; I think I have heard it is possible to have a 4spd trans hooked up to a 3OTT linkage system somehow. What I do know this setup needs a "PTO" cable type system to put the trans in reverse.
Anyone out there did this and are willing to share how it was done? My Truck is a 68 C10 with the original 3 OTT column shift.

I appreciate and help or links for this operation LOL.

Thanks; mjgord51

·
More for Less Racer
20,218 Posts
The 1st/Reverse link runs the 1st/2nd lever on the 4 speed, the 2nd/3rd lever runs the 3rd/4th lever on the 4-speed.

On your 3 on the tree ....up and toward driver shifter position that was originally Reverse is now 1st gear, ....down and toward driver is 2nd, ....the up and across shift to the up and away from driver position is now the 2nd to 3rd upshift/, then down and away is 4th/high gear.

Some parts of the lower linkage and levers you may have to custom make, depending on what trans you are wanting to use.

You already know the reverse lever on the 4 speed and whatever linkage sytem to shift it you decide to make is going to be custom, unless the 4-speed you use has the stock reverse lever there for you to utilize.
Common old 10-32" core Morse cable(like a B&M , etc ratchet shifter cable) is plenty to run just the reverse lever.

Make sure all the mechanism inside the steering column is nice and tight, you may have to custom shim that end play.
There can't be any slop in the external linkage either, it all has to be tight as new if you plan to power shift with it.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confrontation is an essential part of being human ....or have we been magically transported to fantasy land ?
I see you didn't learn anything from your warning. Please MOVE ON your not contributing to my thread.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1st/Reverse link runs the 1st/2nd lever on the 4 speed, the 2nd/3rd lever runs the 3rd/4th lever on the 4-speed.

On your 3 on the tree ....up and toward driver shifter position that was originally Reverse is now 1st gear, ....down and toward driver is 2nd, ....the up and across shift to the up and away from driver position is now the 2nd to 3rd upshift/, then down and away is 4th/high gear.

Some parts of the lower linkage and levers you may have to custom make, depending on what trans you are wanting to use.

You already know the reverse lever on the 4 speed and whatever linkage sytem to shift it you decide to make is going to be custom, unless the 4-speed you use has the stock reverse lever there for you to utilize.
Common old 10-32" core Morse cable(like a B&M , etc ratchet shifter cable) is plenty to run just the reverse lever.

Make sure all the mechanism inside the steering column is nice and tight, you may have to custom shim that end play.
There can't be any slop in the external linkage either, it all has to be tight as new if you plan to power shift with it.
My trucks has a 1989 305ci stock motor so NO power shifting will be going on there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts