Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 68 camaro with a M20 4-speed transmission, and I can't seem to permanently fix my throw-out bearing problem. It started with the old engine in the car. I had to replace it 3 times because when the clutch was pressed in, it would make a annoying spinning noise. Since then, I've put in a new engine (same as old 350), and a new performance clutch with a "longer" performance throw-out bearing. There are less than 500 miles on the clutch, and the bearing is making a noise again.

Obvisiously to go through 4 throw-out bearings in under 5000 miles is a bit ridiculous. Any clue what might be causing this problem? I'm frustrated to no end and would really like to fix it for good! Thanks so much!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
bearings

Stock bell or blowproof????

Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock bell and mechanical clutch. I'm not sure about the front bearing retainer.

Sadly, being a novice with little workspace I haven't had as much chance to check into it myself, therefore i have to take it to a shop each time it blows out. They seem content to just install a new one and call it "fixed" for a month.....

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
What about the pivot ball in the bellhousing? Was that replaced?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
bearing

Sounds like you need to be looking for a new shop to take your car to......

Like vince stated i would look into the bearing retainer on the front of the trans next. Do you by any chance ride with you foot on the clutch?????? Throwout bearings are kinda tough so i would think there should be some typ of easy to spot problem... It's odd to me that it did it before and after changing the engine and clutch. I would also take the time to indicate the mounting hole in the bell to see if something crazy is going on there..... Are you having an other symptoms??? like clutch chatter??? Vibration??? Etc..... Also look at the pilot bearing in the crank...

Keith

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
also............you don't necessarily need the "long" bearing. It may as Jim says be partially engaged all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to take a closer look at things this weekend and get back with more information. You've give me alot of good ideas!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,812 Posts
The long bearing with a stock ball stud and clutch hieght will change the angle of fork in relation to the clutch fingers. A side loading severe enough will detroy a bearing in short order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts