Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am putting together an engine for my 59 ford wagon . the engine is a 5.0 roller motor of unknown origin.my problem lies in the distributor which seems to be from a 1994-95 5.0 f.i. motor. the shaft seems to be longer than the earlier years ,so my question is what kind of distributor can i replace this with in order to convert this engine to a carb. thanks

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
59 wagon man said:
thanks xntrik so i guess the distributor thats in the motor is incorrect because it looks like a 94-95 with the extended shaft

Did Ford make 5.0s for the Explorer in 96?

I'm not sure of the distributor shaft difference. I'm sure a Ford expert will chime in shortly.

KULTULZ probably knows the difference. Duke is the resident "Ford data expert" here, IMO.

Either way the oil pump drive shaft length might be the only difference, since the cam, etc. is always in the same place.

The roller cam will require the distributor drive gear from the roller distributor be installed on your "conventional" distributor you are using with your carb.

Aftermarket I like MSD. Conventional, use the Ford Duraspark from the late 70s.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
wagonman,
fair chance the oil pump shaft is not in a rotational position allowing the dist gear to mesh and drop all the way in?

or it's not a 95' 5.0 dist?

Advance Auto lists the same Motorcraft dist DA2010 for 86' and 95' and the same Clevite pump shaft xxx1412 for both

Autozone listed the same Cardone dist #'s, 86 and 95, xxx2880

take the 95' dist to a local store and compare it to a 86'

·
Registered
245 Posts
I posted this question some time ago.I was working on my buddys 48 ford truck with an injected 302 that we changed to a carb. There are definately 2 different length distributors.someone posted pictures of them side by side. We ended up getting a mallory unilite from jegs and it dropped right in. :D

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
xntrik said:
Aftermarket I like MSD. Conventional, use the Ford Duraspark from the late 70s.
could always fire a DSII with a MSD box, that's what I'm doing with my 200 Ford Turbo engine ( once it's put togther ). MSD even makes a connector harness to plug right into the Duraspark distributor, which is just over $15 from summit. it's part # 8869 I belive. I bought the harness.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
from the Ford Racing parts site:

6605-A302= shaft for 289/302 (longer?)
6605-B302= shaft for 87-95' (shorter?)

no demensions given....send them a email and ask for the demensions and post here......this "won't fit" dist question comes up repeatedly

you really should replace the shaft with a new one regardless....it is the "weak link" in the oiling system

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
from the Racer Walsh (Jax) site

SVO6605-A302 "this shaft will not fit EFI 302 motors" (you need a B302?)

may the motor god smile on you and there is no retaining clip on the shaft so you can just pull it out from the top!

B302 is available from jegs/summit/etc

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
59 wagon man said:
...the engine is a 5.0 roller motor of unknown origin.my problem lies in the distributor which seems to be from a 1994-95 5.0 f.i. motor. the shaft seems to be longer than the earlier years ,so my question is what kind of distributor can i replace this with in order to convert this engine to a carb.
59 wagon man and further wrote said:
i guess the distributor thats in the motor is incorrect because it looks like a 94-95 with the extended shaft
:confused:

Hmm...

Are you saying the actual distributor you are trying to insert (in what year engine? ) is from a 94-95 SN-95 MUSTANG? These should be Open Bowl as the TFI Module is remote mount.

Please give year of engine (at least lower plenum Casting I.D. No.) and Distributor Stamping I.D. No.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.