Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a set of head gaskets today for a 87 5.0 mustang engine and the parts man said the book recommends replacing the head bolts. Is it really necessary to replace the bolts? This is the second time the heads have been off, the first time at 38000 miles and now at 87000 miles.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If they are the torque to yield bolts they need to be replaced. I'm not sure which year Phord decided to start using those. If yours have been reused once already I'd get a set anyway just to be safe.

Larry

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Head bolts

Im with coldknock on that. I would never use a set of head bolts more than twice. After that, due to the operational stresses, as well as the torquing, they tend to lose their elasticity, and while they may torque down well to the recommended specs, it wouldnt take much to stretch them out after that. I would recommend studding the heads in lieu of using head bolts, if you are planning to remove the heads frequently. Studs dont get twised when you torque them, like a head bolt does. The twisting is as detrimental to the life of the bolt as well as is the stretching, especially if theyve ever been hot.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
The only downfall to studding heads in a street car is most time it means you must pull the engine to get the heads off.It definently has a better clamping force,but you must weigh your options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts