Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question does the 1989 t bird 5.0 come as an HO and if so how could I tell with it out of the car.
Would this engine be the same as the regular Ford 5.0 any problems using it for the same?
Magnum

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
magnum2u said:
Question does the 1989 t bird 5.0 come as an HO and if so how could I tell with it out of the car.

Would this engine be the same as the regular Ford 5.0 any problems using it for the same?
Magnum
The standard 5.0L throttle body will be on the driver's side whereas the 5.0L HO will have the throttle body on the passenger side.

The 5.0L uses the old 289/302 firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

The 5.0L HO uses the 351W firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

The BIRD 5.0L HO is a modified MUST engine. The upper plenum is not as tall (hood clearance). If you are going to use it in a FORD, a standard 5.0 should work. 5.0L HO may have SEFI. Have to check if either or both is a batch-fire or SEFI. That would present a problem. Would have to have the ECM modified (or use standard engine wiring harness).

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
THERE ARE NO '89 T-BIRD 5.0's. The '89-'90 T-birds did not even have a V8 engine on the option list. They reintroduced the V8 (as an HO, but with a more restrictive intake) in '91.

The '86-'88 T-bird 5.0's have the throttle body on the passenger side just like a Mustang, but they are definitely not HO engines. The only 5.0's with the TB on the driver's side are the standard-output ones in the full-size cars. The SO 5.0 has a plate on top of the intake that says 5.0, but it does NOT say HO. Underneath that plate (if you can get it off) the HO engine also has HO cast into it, but the SO engine does not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help I am looking for an engine for a street rod project and ran across this newly rebuilt t-bird engine I had planed on a 5.0 L HO I know very little about t-birds so these replys are going to educate me before I buy the wrong thing for my project. The owner does not seem to know much about this engine other than it was a 5.0 L they put a 4v holly on it.
Thanks Magnum.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The standard motor found in the '86-'88 T-birds & in the full-sized cars has a cylinder head that is not much good for a hot-rod. They are designed for extreme low-end torque & mileage. The torque peak on those motors is at 2000RPM, & I can testify they do those things well (mine got 28-30MPG when it was new, & it will snap your head from a standing start, but run out of breath at ~4000RPM). It has a tiny little hydraulic roller cam, but larger cams can be used, depending on whether there is clearance between pistons & valves. The stock pistons are flat-topped, & I don't think they have valve relief cuts, so you can't do too much as far as lift goes. The stock HO cam is supposed to be OK, but no more than that. Most hi-performance cams (including the factory HO) use a different firing order from the SO cam. Not a problem, you just have to switch the plug wires around on the cap. The SO heads will have a part number that starts with E6SE, while the HO heads will start with E7TE. Other SBF heads will fit, since the SO & HO blocks are the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You jimfulco and KULTULZ your kind help is what this is all about. I appreciate it very much.
Magnum

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Hey Jim!

Thanks for correcting me. I was under the impression (mistaken) there were only three series of the 5.0L (one being light truck). I did not realize there was no BIRD 5.0L production in 88/89 and that the BIRD/COUGAR (MARK VII?) were just a detuned version of the HO. I am going to have to research this and update my data banks... :rolleyes:

So the E6SE heads were continued for the standard 5.0L and the HO saw the introduction of the E7TE?

Spending too much time in old LINCOLNS lately... :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Yeah the geniuses decided a blown V6 would please the V8 crowd. Then after they came to their senses, they had to shorten the HO intake because of hood clearance issues. The E6's were used in the T-birds through '88 & in the Crown Vics until the OHC motors came out. The tiny cam & heads give it 150HP w/single exhaust, 5-10 more with fake duals (single big catalyst & dual mufflers) in the '88 Birds.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Yeah the geniuses decided a blown V6 would please the V8 crowd.
Like I said Jim, I really appreciate your pointing this out. I had no idea that there was no V8 production those years. I thougt the SUPER COUPE was a high design level sports model. I guess the 3.8L EFI carried the most sales.

I have read recently where some parts have been discontinued by FORD. Good 'ol FORD... Slap 'em together and offer no customer support for them. I wonder how many people bought the cars (TBIRD and COUGAR) without realizing what a maintenance nightmare they were getting themselves into?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rest of the story tbird vs Cougar

Now the guy tells me the 5.0L came out of a 1984 Cougar and was transplanted into a 1986 T-bird he said the number on the heads is 6j23 and 6j16.
Does this make any sense?
So far the best thing I have gotten out of this is the great info you guy's have given.
More is welcome.
Thank You Magnum

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
This is the date code on the heads which puts them at late SEP 86 which is actually 87 production.

You need the I.D. No. off the side of the block (along right pan rail behind starter) (there should be a date code there also) and the cast I.D. No. off the heads to ascertain what it is (if it has never been gotten into).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts