Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question,

Can I use stock style 5.700 inch rods with a stock 400 crankshaft? Or will their be counter weight clearence isssues or somthing?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Warrant said:
I have a quick question,

Can I use stock style 5.700 inch rods with a stock 400 crankshaft? Or will their be counter weight clearence isssues or somthing?

Thanks!
With a longer rod the bottom of the piston should have more crank clearance

·
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright...its just that I have seen cranks for sale that can't use the 5.565 rod, but can only use 5.7ss or 6's or longer....just made me wonder what was up.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Warrant said:
Alright...its just that I have seen cranks for sale that can't use the 5.565 rod, but can only use 5.7ss or 6's or longer....just made me wonder what was up.
On all the 383 cranks we buy we buy them for the 6 inch rod which allows us to internally balance the crank as it saves money on buying a special flywheel and balancer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
5.7 in 400 sb will require some extra grinding to get adequate clearence on several rods,4 of them i think.i used scat 4160 i-beam rods .but not that mush of a deal.Go for it..

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
On the pin end of the rod, check for interference of the balance pad with the underside of the piston crown.

On the big end, check for interference with the cam in the area of the rod bolt head and at the pan rail where the oil pan bolts up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts