Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I am going to put a 5-spd in my 66 Elky.
My intentions for this car are not really performance oriented, but, I have been known to "play hard" from time to time.

The car currently has a Powerglide and (probably) a 305
I kinda want to start driving this daily, and I do have a commute, so the OD is needed. (AT out of the question)

A 350 will be coming later, and also a Tremec, later

I am just wondering what some salvage options may be (that will bolt to typical Chev belhousing)

Not really too concerned about buying a cheaper temporary trans as I have another vehicle that it will be used in at a later date (64 chev c-10)

I have not purchased a used engine or trans for over 20 years, so I have no idea what trannies are in what cars.

Bryan

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never even thought of that one----but----wouldn't a pick-up tranny have the granny 1st????

Not really interested in a granny low, but it could be an option for my 79 c-10.
could get my 14mpg 454 up to 16.
the 64 c-10 will probably never be used as a truck per se. so I was mainly looking into passenger car applications.

It is my intention to make the 66 Elky a daily. I'm not sure how much life either of the T-Birds have left, so I thought it would be a good idea to get the 66 road ready and turn the new Ranger over to my wife. Really all I need to do to make it road ready is fix the license lamp, replace the windshield & add a stereo. I just hate auto trans with a passion. Bought this car over a year ago and have only driven it to work one time. My 59 makes regular trips into town. (try to get it out at least once a week)

Bryan

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
The Camaro T-5 lived well behind 305s. They are not as strong as the Ford unit, but you can find a decent one, use an aftermarket shifter such as BM, Hurst, Pro5.0, and definitely synthetic ATF. (Don't end up with an old trans that takes gear oil, :nono: ) Grab the whole thing bellhousing, flywheel, and all.

Search the knowledge base and google and there are some sites that will give you the T-5 dash number from the tag. The site will give you the exact application and strength rating. Learn to tell a World Class by the front bearing cap. It's easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts