Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every one always talks about the t-5, has anyone taken a 460 and a 5 speed from an f-250 the zf i beleave and run it in a car? thats got to be more then strong enough to handle a few hard shifts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
don't know, I know the 1970's and 80's ford truck 4spds were newer variations of the Toploader 4spd, as is the granada/monarch 4spd. have to find out who made them and what trans # they are, probably a diffrent trans between 4x4 and 2x4 trucks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can't help on the 5-Speed off the top of my head, but on the '70s Ford Truck 4-Speeds, you're dealing with either a BW T18 or NP435. Both are rock solid trannys. I prefer the T18 with the Reverse in the Bottom Right position (vs Upper Right), as it has a monster first gear (6.62:1, I believe). Just rebuilt mine with a kit from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, although it really didn't need it when I got into it. And that's with 260k hard miles. Only downside is that first isn't sychro'd on these trannies.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
vogey said:
what do you mean by 1st isn't sync'd? wouldn't it be a good thing they are set up for torque if you have a 460 doin power launches?
have to double clutch to get back into and out of 1st, as there are no synchronizer cones ( help line the gears up ) in the 1st gear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What Matt said. Bottom line is 1st to 2nd shifts are fine, but when you're coming to a stop, you either double clutch or wait until the truck is stopped before going from 2nd to 1st. Don't even think about making this shift when trying to engine brake a load.

Comparing a T5 to a T18 is like comparing Mesa Verde to Petra.

Extra points for anyone who gets that analogy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes but isn't a t18 a 4 speed from the 70's i was talkin about the 5 speed that came in 2wd trucks behind 460's in the lated 80's and 90's not sure if its the same tranny but there was also 5 speeds behind 5.0's and 351's

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok for any one interested zf has gear ratios of:5.72, 2.94, 1.61, 1, .76

and was used on f-250's and up.
f-150's had a mazda tranny with a 3.90 first gear
the zf will have 2 pto covers on the bottom sides of the tranny and have diagonal cross hatching

the madza will not have pto covers and has vertical crosshatching.

lol with a first like that you could run a 2.35 rear

·
Registered
155 Posts
vogey said:
ok for any one interested zf has gear ratios of:5.72, 2.94, 1.61, 1, .76
lol with a first like that you could run a 2.35 rear
Are you kidding? I run a T18 with a 6.62 first, plus a NP203 t-case with a 2:1, plus a NP205 t-case with a 1.92:1, plus 5:13 gears! And I'm thinking of switching axles to a set of unimogs I've got with overall axle/portal gearing of 7.31:1...

Course I can walk faster than my truck goes in 4th-Lo-Lo...

·
Registered
155 Posts
briscoe said:
Mesa Verde,a beautiful park in Colorado,must be the T-5.

Petra,an ancient,dry barren city in Jordan.

Behold The power of the internet!!
Bonus Prize! Well done.

Grew up in close proximity to Mesa Verde (picture 1) & hearing what an incredible feat it was for the Anasazi to create in 600 AD.

Then, in the '90s, while stationed in the Middle East, I toured Petra (picture 2), also 6th Century AD, and was astounded. Makes Mesa Verde look like building with lincoln logs.

Attachments

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Derm, you must rock crawl? I'd like to see pictures of what you've got if you have any.

BTW, those are cool pictures. The picture of the building in the rock looks like one of the locations in Indiana Jones. Did they film there or was that a studio prop of that building? Is Jordan safe for Westerners? It'd be really neat to tour some of those ancient Middle Eastern sites but these days I'd be concerned for my safety.

·
Registered
155 Posts
According to the people there, part of the Indiana Jones sequel was filmed there. And that view is only the beginning. Go thru the door & it is a full sized building, similarly carved. In 600 AD. And it is one of many in the area.

In my experience (10-12 years ago, in a slightly less violent time), Jordan was a reasonably safe bet. I would certainly recommend approaching Petra from the Red Sea, if possible. Get on an organized tour (not of the site, but definately to / from the site, ie: bus trip with 4 hours to tour on your own).

Be warned. Very dry. Very hot. I raced 2 SEAL buddies to the top of the 'high place' (approx. 950') up steep carved steps. Thought I was gonna die. 118 degrees. Luckily a beautiful young Kurd girl had a 60qt Igloo cooler under a tent up by the top. With HOT TEA in it. I kid you not. I was SOOOO hot. :pain:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry, missed the first sentence. Have a journal going, but all you'll see is parts. Don't have pics of anything serious. Just don't take pics when wheeling, but will start doing so. Have some interesting Moab pics & such. I'll do a gallery soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.