Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been reading a bit about the Richmond and Tremec 5 speeds. Thinking about swapping out my T10 4 spd in a 67 camaro BB. I have mild gears in the rear and just want that 5th for frwy cruising. Both claim to have bolt in units with little to no mods using a stock center console. Anybody have a recommendation or preference?

Thanks for all the comments guys

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Ah..

My thoughts would run toward the Richmond as it is a direct bolt in for your car..with the caveat that you may have to adjust the driveshaft length..I do feel the Richmond is a bit stronger than the Tremec..

OMT

·
Registered
559 Posts
I went with the NEW Tremec 5 which is good for 600 HP which is much more than I will ever need and the 5th gear is a .64 and first is a 2.67. This is going in my 55 1st series GMC

Attachments

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Paulo is correct. The Richmond 5-speed is not an overdrive transmission. The Richmond 6-speed is. The Tremec 5-speeds are also overdrives.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Another it depends deal

A fellow can run a 5th direct box with a tall rear end or an overdrive box with a lower gear in the rear..H'mm got choices..:thumbup:

OMT

·
Registered
529 Posts
mst,
I'm doing a similar swap. I'm putting a Tremec TKO600 into a '66 Nova SS which currently has a Muncie M-21.

I decided to go with Keisler Automotive Engineering http://www.keislerauto.com/ even though they are quite pricey. I ordered the kit(transmission,crossmember,driveshaft,floor sheet metel & template, etc) , on Oct 15. Finally , 8 weeks later I received the transmission and the small hardware, but the crossmember is going to be a couple of weeks, they say. I'm expected to send them the driveshaft spec. after I have the transmission in place. Of course, I can't do that without a crossmember, so I'm on hold with nothing to do but sit back and admire my new toy.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
John, You might try Jeff at Classic Chevy 5 speed. He also has kits!
Why do you have a different tower and cover on your TKO 600 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
solidaxel,
That's supposed to make the shifter come through the floor at the original location so I can use my console in its stock location..

I want everything to look completely original. I even bought a replacement stock Muncie shifter stick that I can modify to fit the 5 speed. The "T" handle wont be necessary to put it in reverse, but it will look stock.
JA

·
Registered
83 Posts
FWIW, the Richmond 6 speed is a double OD. 5th is .7:1 and 6th is .5:1...can you say 4.88's ????
I am running a World class Camaro T-5 (cheap) and I love my 5th gear, but I am running a blown 355 that is way too powerful for a T-5. I have a spare, but I will probably end up with a t-56. I have seen them around for under $1000..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmmmm, 1st gear with a T-56 and a 4:88 I would think would be unusable for the street, but on the other end a .5:1 would be workable. I have no place to use that type of gearing that is one of the reasons I got rid of my T-56, that and the pieces needed to complete the project and went with the TKO 600. Yes they are cheap if you are looking at just the gear box, I sold it for 700.00.

O M T, do you remember what the cost of a Richmond 6 speed sells for new

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Gee!!

I think that you would want to check with Jegs or Summit or any of the of the other usual suspects on the price of a new Richmond gear tranny..:p

Frankly the way I am going is to use the Richmond 5th direct box with a 3.08 or 3.23 gear..should give me a good compromise on launch and a good cruise..I am not sure that I would have any need for a 6 speed..

One needs to look at overall gearing and at just what is the plan for this particular vehicle..

My particular project is a lite Rat so I am keeping my budget digestible and I also do not feel the need to be very exotic..

One other thing is that since Don cut the Swamp Rat in half I always run an SFI flywheel..clutch cover and scatter-shield as I am attached to my pedal extremities and desire to remain so..:D

OMT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMT

That's pretty much how I plan to use the 5th gear and the car in general, as you mentioned. I have checked with Jegs, Summit...etc. all are in the same $$ range. Some of these other places, Keisler, Jam Performance, 5speedtransmission.com ...etc offer custom shifters, cross members, driveshafts, console inserts. The tranny's themselves, Richmond or Tremec are about the same price. Just learning what I can from others experience, good and bad.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts