Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi out there; I need a better source for a 3.55 to 1 ring and pinion gear set for a 1950 Chev passenger car. The only source I have found is $400 plus tax and shipping. Any sources or alternatives would be apreciated. Thanks, Ed Farrell

·
Registered
69 Posts
ed,
i've done this swap. unless you can find someone who's done the swap & wants to sell the whole rearend, that $400 price tag is as cheap as your going to get & that's not including the $250 rebuild kit (new bearings, seals, gaskets, shims & such ) which you should have if your going to do this to a 50 yrs. plus rearend. i was running a six cyl. when i did the swap & what i found was that the RPM's were still too high at highway speed. the problem with the old torque tube rear end is that your very limited with your choice of transmission,no overdrive etc..... i finally chose to replace it with a later model open driveshaft rear so could run a borg-warner T-5 with overdrive. if your still interested in the conversion check out the classifieds on stovebolt.com & inliners.org. there are always guys like me who've done the conversion & want more so they're selling a 3rd member with the conversion already done.

·
Administrator
10,118 Posts
I think you will find that only Patrick's antique parts in Casa Grande Arizona is the only guy that has them. He engineered them and had the gears cut.

To my knowledge GM did not build the gear ratio during the 50's

Do you wish to keep the original drive line setup?

·
Registered
69 Posts
that's right. anyone who sells them gets them through patrick. gm did use it though. it was the ratio used from '50-'54 in cars with powerglides, which would be another source for this ratio. find a rearend from a powerglide car.

·
Administrator
10,118 Posts
bluechev said:
that's right. anyone who sells them gets them through patrick. gm did use it though. it was the ratio used from '50-'54 in cars with powerglides, which would be another source for this ratio. find a rearend from a powerglide car.
======= did not know they used the 3-55 gear . I thought they were all close to 4.00 with stick or auto

·
Registered
69 Posts
some manual trans. equipped cars were 3.75:1 & it seems most were 4.11:1. 1/2 ton pickups were 4.11:1 ( same rear just 6 lug axle flanges ). all powerglide cars with the enclosed driveshaft rear axle were 3.55:1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.