Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I'm Larry and I'm restoring a 50 chevy truck. There was a previous post on this site that asked about putting in a new rear end that will fit the frame. Please let me know how to measure and what kind of rear end to get for a 350 engine.
Thanks alot.

·
jamie
15 Posts
Larry, I put the rear from a 2000 camaro in my 50 Chevy 3100. I cut all the mounts off it and put air bags and a four link on. That does require welding mounts for the fronts of the links and top of the bags to the Chevy frame as well as the mounts on rear end. I fabed mine from 1/4 plate, but I see places like Speedway sell universal weld on mount plates. The rear end is a little wide but I used some off set wheels to make some pretty wide 17 in tires fit well without modifying the finders or bed sides. I recall a few days back seeing another post where someone put a 90 something Chevy truck rear under his 3100, but he also had to remake the mounts using leaf springs. i don't know if there is anything that will direct bolt to the old leaf springs. The old leaf spriings are just too heavy duty for a good ride.

·
jamie
15 Posts
There are probably many rear end that will fit under your truck if you are going to cutom fit the mounts, I've even seen ford 9 in under them. You can fit the tires where you want them by using the right off sets on the wheels.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
One of the most important things is to know what tires and wheels you plan on running. I wanted very wide tires on my truck and completely filled the gap between the bed sides and fender lip with tire. For this I used a 67 Camaro rear end (didn't even need to change the spring mounts) and ran 5/16" spacers behind the wheels to get that perfect location being I wanted the widest tire I could get in there.

Brian

Reactions: doubletree
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.