Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, I'm converting my 50 Chrysler from 6v pos ground to 12v neg ground. Need a 12v starter and solenoid. Engine is inline 8. Is there such a creature? Will a, say Plymouth 12v inline 6 starter work on my big baby?
Thank you in advance...........danielmeguel

·
Old(s) Fart
6,082 Posts
Hi gang, I'm converting my 50 Chrysler from 6v pos ground to 12v neg ground. Need a 12v starter and solenoid. Engine is inline 8. Is there such a creature? Will a, say Plymouth 12v inline 6 starter work on my big baby?
Thank you in advance...........danielmeguel
The 6V starter will work fine on 12V, it will just spin faster (not a bad thing). I did this conversion on a 1952 farm tractor and kept the 6V starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1950 chrysler starter

Thank you, but what about the solenoid? Mine is a 6v pos grd and is mounted on top of the starter. Where can I get one? Is it possible to mount a ford type solenoid mounted on inner fender wall and run the battery cable to it? Thank you in advance. Danielmeguel

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree with Joe, the original starter will work fine. I purchased a 41 Caddy with the original drivetrain. Not knowing it was positive ground, I hooked up a 12 volt battery with the ground as negative. Engine started and ran fine. Generator wasn't working so it wasn't an issue.
I'm currently running a 6 volt starter on my 1950 Caddy, it doesn't mind the 12 volts at all.

Curly

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
starter wiring

The way the starters are wired internally it doesn't matter if the system is Neg or Pos ground. We used to put 6 V starters in 12 V cars to get them to start in below 0 weather, just don't crank it very long or you could burn out the starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.