Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ppl.
about 5-6 mo ago i got a tranny from Performance Automotive Transmission Center for my 95 dodge .. its a 518A (727) Overdrive unit with the lock out torque converter. -46RH-
supposedly has stage 3 shift kit in it with kevlar clutch bands and all the hype that goes with a 2000$ tranny.
whatever. i swear its a rebuild with the bands torqued to hell.

- when i get out on the road and WOT depends on where its at speed / rpm wise sometimes it will shift down and then right back up. say im running in 3 or 4 gear - it shifts down to 3rd and then right back to fourth. basically making the acceleration crappy, i want it to shift down and scream until im moving!

it may be in 3rd going down to 2nd then right back, or it could be 4th ..going from 3rd and back to 4th. ill try to locate it.

maybe relevant - if im locked out say cruising 70 and step on it
it feels like the power train is made of rubberbands. makes no sense to me. this is the same junk i was trying to fix when i bought the tranny.

anyone got ideas? engine or tranny?
bowtie overdrives:thumbup: PATC:nono:

r4r

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
update

i just dorve it and i think the shift prob is in 3rd. down to second and right back to 3rd.

at 75 mph i stepped on it hard and it made a big clunk - then it shifted down. maybe u-joints?

anyways, on a different note, while in OD if i open the throttle slowly to about 85-90% it will downshift fine and winds out good.

all ideas are appreciated.

r4r

yep its 3rd when it shifts to 2nd on wot and right back to third.

the "rubber band" thing when it shifts out to lockout is like running over a series of ripples in the road. thats a better way to describe it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.