Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A Stock 1952 Chevy Deluxe With An All Original 216 Straight Six. I Am Going To Install A Split Header With Dual Pipes. I Have Seen Alot Of These Old Cars With Dual Carbs. I Have Found The Dual Intake But I Am Having Problems Locating Carbs. Any Suggestions? I Am Interested In Keeping The Cars In The Fifties Era, Not Stock But Just Upgrades That Would Have Been Done Back Then. I Will Be Painting The Car Hot Rod Black From Hot Rod Flatz.
Any Info You Guys Have For Old School Rodding Would Be Great!

Thanks,
Grady
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Photos Won't Download

Hey Friend, I'm dying to see your '52 cause I 've got this idea about a big block version of this car stuck in my head, can't get them to download, was up? :thumbup: olnolan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Never Mind

OK, i got em now, it was me or the PC and I ain't giving in. I'm looking for the fastback( I think Fleetline?) photos. I gotta get this out of my head, cause I got more projects moving than I can possibly complete. :nono: :pain: olnolan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,518 Posts
OLNOLAN said:
OK, i got em now, it was me or the PC and I ain't giving in. I'm looking for the fastback( I think Fleetline?) photos. I gotta get this out of my head, cause I got more projects moving than I can possibly complete. :nono: :pain: olnolan
I have a '51 Fleetline. this is the most recent full shot of the car, altho it's 3 months outdated.. painted now, just the fuel pump died when I went to pull it out into the sunlight :mad: not the easiest pump to change ither ( I replaced it once )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,518 Posts
if you want dual carb. Fenton and offenhauser both are prodicing dual carb manifolds with a few suppliers. you'll need 1 more carb.... get the manifold for your engine size.. they will swap 216-235 and 235-216 but the carb bolt spacing is diffrent. can't remember the measurements.. but if you got an automatic, you got a 235, if you got a stick shift, it's a 216. you can verify with the casting numbers right near the fuel pump... anyway, being a '52, it should have an automatic ( thermostatic ) choke on the carb.. for the secondary carb, you will need 1 from your matching engine size from a '51-'52 Chevy.. only diffrence is '51 has a manual choke but for the secondary carb, your getting rid of the choke anyway.. blocking idle circuit too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
HEY ROLIN99709 & MATT167

Hey Friends, Rolin99709, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just curious about these cars. Was the driveline open? You know regular trans,driveshaft,rearend. Was the front end straight axle or independent(a-arm)? Daddy (late)had a '51 coupe many years ago, I remember the car plain as daylight,but I can't remember how the chassis/drivetrain was setup. Preciate help. olnolan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,518 Posts
OLNOLAN said:
Hey Friends, Rolin99709, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just curious about these cars. Was the driveline open? You know regular trans,driveshaft,rearend. Was the front end straight axle or independent(a-arm)? Daddy (late)had a '51 coupe many years ago, I remember the car plain as daylight,but I can't remember how the chassis/drivetrain was setup. Preciate help. olnolan
IFS, and a torque tube driveline.. '49-'54 was much the same
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,518 Posts
OLNOLAN said:
Thanks Matt, Do you know how much hassle it is to convert to an open driveline?olnolan
not very hard. Gen II Camaro rears are nearly a bolt in, as is '55-'57 Chevy, tho normal leaf springs will need to be used.. there is a company making open rear leafs for them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
matt167 said:
if you want dual carb. Fenton and offenhauser both are prodicing dual carb manifolds with a few suppliers. you'll need 1 more carb.... get the manifold for your engine size.. they will swap 216-235 and 235-216 but the carb bolt spacing is diffrent. can't remember the measurements.. but if you got an automatic, you got a 235, if you got a stick shift, it's a 216. you can verify with the casting numbers right near the fuel pump... anyway, being a '52, it should have an automatic ( thermostatic ) choke on the carb.. for the secondary carb, you will need 1 from your matching engine size from a '51-'52 Chevy.. only diffrence is '51 has a manual choke but for the secondary carb, your getting rid of the choke anyway.. blocking idle circuit too
I have done this before and you DO NOT WANT TO BLOCK THE IDLE ON ONE CARB!!!
You must recalibrate the carbs to run two and two stock carbs will have many issues. Easiest to go to a shop that can do that for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What About A Single Carb

What About A Single Carb Intake That Allows Me To Use Split Headers, I Noticed That The Exhaust Manifold And Intake Manifold Are Bolted Together. I Would Love To Install Dual Carbs But It Seem Like A Big Headache Getting The Two Carb To Work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
rolin99709 said:
What About A Single Carb Intake That Allows Me To Use Split Headers, I Noticed That The Exhaust Manifold And Intake Manifold Are Bolted Together. I Would Love To Install Dual Carbs But It Seem Like A Big Headache Getting The Two Carb To Work.
You can use your intake just block off the heat riser with a plate. Some of the cast duals had a provision for the heat riser. A larger carb or even a 2v adapted to the stock intake will make a noticeable lincrease in performance for the 216 or 235. A Rochester from a 283 or other small v8 will work pretty well with little tuning. Do not use a carb for a larger engine unless you can do some tuning!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,518 Posts
rolin99709 said:
What About A Single Carb Intake That Allows Me To Use Split Headers, I Noticed That The Exhaust Manifold And Intake Manifold Are Bolted Together. I Would Love To Install Dual Carbs But It Seem Like A Big Headache Getting The Two Carb To Work.
just get the block off kit that Fenton makes... it will use coolant for the intake heater
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top