Hot Rod Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 5610 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,801 · (Edited)
You certainly have a "thing" for rusted out convertibles...:thumbup:

I've owned 3 of them and never had them over a year. Just don't care for them.
Yup. You either love or hate convertibles but.......if you are going to build a rough car, it needs to be one that has value when you are done. You know the old adage, When the top goes down the price goes up. :D

My dad forbid me to own a convertible or a motorcycle. I have had both my entire adult life. Maybe I am subconciously still getting even with him.:D:D

John

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
Yup. You either love or hate convertibles but.......if you are going to build a rough car, it needs to be one that has value when you are done. You know the old adage, When the top goes down the price goes up. :D

My dad forbid me to own a convertible or a motorcycle. I have had both my entire adult life. Maybe I am subconsciously still getting even with him.:D:D

John
My dad bought a Honda 50 Sport for me when I was 15. 52 years later, I've gone 1 summer without a motorcycle..;)

As for building cars, I've never considered value in my choices. Coming of age and getting my license in the midst of the muscle car era, there are many I like, but stay with 1 brand now, as I know them the best and most of what I have seem to keep their value, so far. The young-in's buying and building muscle cars now, aren't much interested in keeping them original, so the values will shift, but I don't see the sought after Chevelle's and Camaro's falling by the wayside for a while. Who knows, 10 years from now, they may be banned from the streets, only to sit as collector relics in collections...:drunk:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,803 ·
My dad bought a Honda 50 Sport for me when I was 15. 52 years later, I've gone 1 summer without a motorcycle..;)

As for building cars, I've never considered value in my choices. Coming of age and getting my license in the midst of the muscle car era, there are many I like, but stay with 1 brand now, as I know them the best and most of what I have seem to keep their value, so far. The young-in's buying and building muscle cars now, aren't much interested in keeping them original, so the values will shift, but I don't see the sought after Chevelle's and Camaro's falling by the wayside for a while. Who knows, 10 years from now, they may be banned from the streets, only to sit as collector relics in collections...:drunk:
LOL, I don't see you building a 4 door Valiant. :mwink: The projects you have collected all have resale value. I would suggest that you probably appreciate the value and desirability of your choices more than you realize. Of course, I realize you love the performance GM's for what they are too.

I would not think about building a car I didn't like but it is important to me that the hobby pay for itself. I have done my own body, paint, mechanical, and interior work for years. Selling my cars for more than I have invested has always been a MUST in order to justify the expense.

It was a major step for me to accept Steve's offer to help me on the '53. He has me spoiled though. What he has accomplished in such a short time for the money he has charged is amazing.

John

·
2,438 Posts
Believe me, if I could find someone of his caliber and cost efficiency, the Camaro would be there right now. Wish the Chevelle would have turned out as nice, but it is what it is now.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,411 Posts

My dad forbid me to own a convertible or a motorcycle. I have had both my entire adult life. Maybe I am subconciously still getting even with him.:D:D

John
It's so funny how different things can be, I grew up with convertibles. My dad loved them and bought trade-ins for my mom. Lots of memories in her 68 Impala.

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,807 ·
It's so funny how different things can be, I grew up with convertibles. My dad loved them and bought trade-ins for my mom. Lots of memories in her 68 Impala.

Brian
I have always loved them. Granted they are noisy things going down the interstate, but they really are great in the evening with the top down just cruisin..............:thumbup:

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,808 ·
I thought Steve told me yesterday the bottom of the deck lid was ready to paint if I wanted to shoot it today. When I got there this is what I found.

He had the inside of the TRUNK in Barry's finest epoxy and the deck lid ready for final blocking. Sooooo, I got to make the inside of the trunk red.

I really like the look of the satin finish of the catalyzed base. Steve said he would have the bottom of the deck lid ready Monday. It has 3 coats of SPI epoxy on the top side ready for final blocking.

And on top of all that, He still had time to put the new D B Electric starter on the truck and get it cleaned up for the cruise in tomorrow.

And as usual, he said I owed him about half what I expected.....Amazing for sure.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,809 · (Edited)
It was my pleasure tp paint the bottom of the deck lid today. Steve had it all mudded and in SPI red epoxy for me. No one will ever realize this was a rusty deck lid with both inner and outer bottom 4” being replaced.

The trunk area is getting the final wiring details done also. I painted it last Thursday, I think it was. It looks good but has more of a factory look than anything.

This is the first time I have been able to get far enough from the car to check out it's stance since Steve put on the dropped spindles. I think it is going to work out about right by the time the rest of the wait is added to the car.

According to Steve, the deck lid goes on next. The holes get drilled for the trim and then the hood gets mudded and epoxy primed.

Hmmmm, i may get to spray some more SPI Base/clear...:D:D:D

Big grin indeed!

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Man, the car is looking good now..... :thumbup:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Your convertible is lookin mighty fine. :cool::thumbup: Vroom chirp vroom...

About spell8ng, I try to pet the sweaty things instead of sweating the petty things.:mwink:

Wait, did I say that right?:embarrass Er, ah... hey but there was more than one typo. So I left mine in to make you feel better and save myself some screen tapping.:)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,815 ·
Steve said he was ready for the hood so my brother in lawRoger, and I ran it up to him. He backed the old girl out of the garage and let me walk around her.(Several times to be honest. :D)

The deck lid is on....

The trim holes have been drilled.....

The upper radiator shroud and hood latch are fitted........

And lastly, Steve had us set the hood on to check for gaps.not bad at all for first try without any adjustments.

And a big round of applause for the guy who has made it happen.

I am really thankful that Steve seems to be almost as excited about this project as I am.

Even though I have heard the car run, tonight was the first time I had actually seen the old girl move under her own power. Pretty exciting for me. Just think about where the car has come from since the first of June when I took it to Steve. Never have I had to wonder what he spent his hours doing. Instead, I have always wondered how he got that much done in the time he billed me for.

Thanks again Steve. :thumbup:

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,818 ·
I really liked this shot when I was going back through the pictures. It shows not only the front shroud in place for the first time but also how well Steve hid the wiring. It is going to be a shame to clutter it up with heater and A/C hoses.

Some sacrifices just have to be made I guess. :mwink

John

Attachments

·
2,438 Posts
Just man-up and drive it as is...:p
Unless you know a trick, you're going to have a devil of a time getting the hood springs on...:(
I had a difficult time without the fenders on...:pain:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,820 · (Edited)
Just man-up and drive it as is...:p
Unless you know a trick, you're going to have a devil of a time getting the hood springs on...:(
I had a difficult time without the fenders on...:pain:
There is a very simple tool you can make for the springs out of a piece of rebar or similar rod.

1. Stretch spring and slip it on tool.

2. Raise hood all the way and instal spring.

3. Lower hood until you can remove tool.

Note 2 and 3 may be reversed. :mwink:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...&sigb=12e242vlb&sigt=110ak4mft&sigi=12ohko5ia

John

4801 - 4820 of 5610 Posts