Hot Rod Forum banner

5301 - 5320 of 5354 Posts

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,225 Posts
Changing to a hydraulic t/o would involve a bellhousing change along with a master cylinder for it.
You are on the right track with changing the geometry for a longer throw, John, and if there is room to move the t/o rod down on the bell-crank arm, I would experiment with that first. You should have an adjustable t/o rod now, but if not, use the Camaro rod.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Just here to say I think you have your priorities in good alignment, John. You have gained plenty of ground to coast for a spell. Precious is done and fine as far as the world is concerned. Mission accomplished. Embellishments remain. Take your time wading through these lesser conflicts methodically. 36 needs the cobs blowed out by now anyhow. Nobody is gonna forget the fat red Chevy, and you'll be back with it. Try not to get engrossed to deeply in the 36 meanwhile, just fill in with it until the freshy is ready for full blast. Its just comforting for me and us to know that you two are still making the rounds in your car community comfortably enough.:) When not driving, theres no place like chair. Next to rod, on a pleasant afternoon.;)

Reactions: John long

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,303
Hey guys. Good stuff on all the latest posts.

Matt, I agree. I got to show her to the world. Now it is time to get back to work. It is good though to kind of know what her needs were and are.

The easiest way to fix the clutch would be to just drill the pedal down about an inch but that puts the clutch rod right in the middle of my firewall brace which is designed to keep the clutch from flexing or cracking the firewall.

Mitch, The adjustment for the clutch is the rod from the clutch throw out arm ti the bottom arm of the Z-bar. I can lengthen that arm but if I do, the rod will be pushing up on clutch release instead of pushing straight.

We certainly will work something out.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,708 Posts
Can you put a bend in your rod? Shape doesn't matter, just the pivot point.
I have no clue about this of course because I'm not really a man....I only drive automatics....ha.....

Reactions: John long

·
2,225 Posts
Pugsy might be onto something there. If you could bend the rod from pedal to z-bar down beyond the brace, to a lower hole position, you wouldn't need to mess with the brace.
You are very close to having enough travel now and I don't "think" it would need to move down an inch, but that would take a helper to step on the pedal for you to measure and determine how much lower the rod would need to be on the z-bar to gain a 1/4" of travel at the t/o arm.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
I was gonna cast a vote for modifying the brace but did not play hunt up the picture. Come to think of it, sounds like a removable tunnel panel like old trucks have might be a wise addition considering what you have come up against here. I also drive girl cars but didn't always. There was a Mach1 with big primary tubes that I had to make a z bar work in and well thats just not a fun area to be doing lots of trial and error. Probably not quite as cramped on the 53.

·
2,225 Posts
I was gonna cast a vote for modifying the brace but did not play hunt up the picture.
Same, exact, thought and not willing to hunt for year(s) old pics either...;)
Bigger issue would be messing with cutting, welding and paint again. A sleeve for the rod to travel thru could be added to the brace to maintain the structural integrity, but if just bending the rod and drilling a new hole will take care of the problem, all the better...:cool:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,308
Guys, I think you all are giving me good advice. If I’m lucky, working around the brace is going to be the answer. Will keep you posted....👌

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,310
You guys won’t believe this. I went down to clean the roadster and the has gauge is not working. Now that is strange. I poured 5 gallons in it and it is still on empty......Go figure. 🙄

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,314
There was just enough time to jack the car up and pull the clutch pedal yesterday but it looks like re-drilling the clutch pedal is the way to go.

The brace nside the firewall is not nearly as much of a concern as I remembered it would be.

Much of the strength of the firewall comes from the angle where the toe board meets it as well as the front body mount that joins at that same point.

I circled the hole in this picture where the clutch rod comes through the firewall so you can see that where the inner brace ends the outer body mount begins. The actually overlap about an inch or so.

The real stress from the clutch pedal is on the steering column and pedal bracket. They are tied in at the floor, master cylinder, and a brace that goes up to the top of the firewall. Anyway, the plan is to redrill the Z-bar down about 1/2” and the pedal about 1”, reworking the inner brace and filling the old hole. I hope to pull the brace and z-bar today.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,315 (Edited)
For some reason that big block did not make it easy to get this linkage out but I made it. :D

If I drill the clutch pedal and lever lower the bracket has to be modified for clearance. I was afraid to do it in the car so I fought the battle to get it out.

I plugged the hole where the rod did run and added a reinforcement for clearance and strength. I think I now have the clearance I need to move the rod down and increase the travel at the clutch throwout arm.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,316
I wish I was giving you all an update on the car but I’m not this time.

Tim had a wreck on his bike and has three broken vertebrae and a couple of broken ribs we know about. He is to go into surgery to get screwed back together at noon today. Keep him in your prayers please.

BTW, all legs and toes are still working. That is good news.

John

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
John I am real sorry to hear that :( and thankful there is movement.:) Please keep us posted.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,708 Posts
Jeez...terrible news. With the advancements in medicine these days, I'm sure they'll fix him up nicely. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,320
It turns out Tim did not go to surgery. As I understand it the Dr's looked at more X-rays and decided to hold off on surgery and are attempting to immobilize him with a cast and see if he will heal without the surgery.

I really feel like God has answered prayer and we are optimistic that more good news will be forthcoming.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. I should have posted this earlier but have had a houseful of Barb's family here today.

John

5301 - 5320 of 5354 Posts