Hot Rod Forum banner

5361 - 5380 of 5409 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,361
Yes,They were. I had left the high enough, I suspected they would go forward instead of back. I knew the hydraulics would bleed down and hoped they would gently rest on the header but never dreamed they would settle on the pins.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,363
Now, tell us good news about Tim too...:)
Glad to! Tim has actually gone back to work and is doing well. Unless something unexpected happens, it appears he is not going to need surgery. We are all very thankful. 👍

I had a younger friend come by today and he helped me adjust the rear of the top irons up for the needed quarter window clearance. It took about 10 minutes. Is that not cool.

I have the rh weather strip installed and the windows appear to be sealing. They also roll up and down well. This is going much smoother than I anticipated it would. I am thankful for sure.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,366
The weatherstripping is in! It actually went better than I anticipated but so did the top iron alignment......I'll take it!

If you get a chance to pick up some scrap industrial conveyor belt material, jump on it. I have used this stuff for so many things.

Steele Rubber wants big bucks for the rubber blocks the top sits on when lowered. These will work just as well and free is always good. I even used this stuff to make my body mounts.

The top is on order and I have picked up the material for my door panel cards. With luck, she will be pretty much a completed car by spring.

Smiley faces all over the place! 🥴

John

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Wish I could find more of that belting locally John! I had a big chunk for years, but ran out recently. I need to go scrounge around some industrial plants and see if I can dig up some in the trash.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,048 Posts
Hey Tractor Supply carries industrial belting like John Long mentioned. Several different thicknesses and widths..Look up your local Tractor Supply...:cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you have a gravel pit or concrete company near, they usually have pieces from repairs. Conveyors in that application are always needing repaired.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yes, we've got plenty of industrial companies that use conveyor belts. If I wasn't retired I had customers who had them that I took care of. I might go make a visit and see if they'll let me scrounge their garbage bins and cut a chunk.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
What I am curious to see is the material for door cards. I thought I heard a sheet of ABS plastic, John. Was it you who mentioned that? I want to make some fender liners and have not done my homework on available materials and have questions. But I know I'll see soon enough. It is a delight to see you picking off these tasks, knowing how much you enjoy the kind that are left to do. Keep on whittlin' at it, everything looks like a million bucks.(y)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,373
What I am curious to see is the material for door cards. I thought I heard a sheet of ABS plastic, John. Was it you who mentioned that? I want to make some fender liners and have not done my homework on available materials and have questions. But I know I'll see soon enough. It is a delight to see you picking off these tasks, knowing how much you enjoy the kind that are left to do. Keep on whittlin' at it, everything looks like a million bucks.(y)
AAMAF, Matt, I just picked up a couple of sheets of PVC panel board and one sheet of ABS plastic. All three sheets are 3 mm thick 1/8”) and 4’x8’. The PVC was $24 and the ABS was $57.

Both will hold staples, glue, and are waterproof.

Below is a post from the lucky Needle upholstery forum I posted a couple of days ago describing the obvious differences.

There have been earlier discussions on the best material for making interior panels. The owner of the Lucky Needle, John, has used ABS plastic for a long time and suggests it in his training courses. I have mentioned on occasion that I use the solid PVC board.

Long story short, I went to my local supplier yesterday to pick up a couple of sheets of PVC and found what they were stocking was much floppier than what I had bought previously. Surprisingly, they now stock ABS board also. I bought a sheet of both and will enjoy trying out the ABS, as well as checking to see if the new brand of PVC is acceptable.

I will post my observations as I get more deeply into the interior. I do know the ABS will begin to distort at 140* so it has to be used with caution. For example, not good for rear package tray covered in a dark material.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,375
Signcrafters or someone like them has it.
They very well may have but be sure not to confuse PVC panel board with the PVC foam board that sign maker frequently use. What we are talking about is a solid dense product just like the plumbing industry uses.

John

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Not foam board. Right.(y)

My first question is: Is either material similar to the inner fender splash shields commonly found attached with push rivet type plastic clips to most modern vehicles this century. Wheelhouse plastic. Belly pan. Mud guard. Whatever you want to call it but black splash shield type material similar to that is what I am curious about. If used as it normally is in fenderwell or lower engine shield applications seen on anything in a crash repair shop for the last couple decades... temperature not really an issue. Second curiosity of mine is yeah do you get it at a sewing store, or? Completely different topic though, sorry about the mini-hijack.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,377
Not foam board. Right.(y)

My first question is: Is either material similar to the inner fender splash shields commonly found attached with push rivet type plastic clips to most modern vehicles this century. Wheelhouse plastic. Belly pan. Mud guard. Whatever you want to call it but black splash shield type material similar to that is what I am curious about. If used as it normally is in fenderwell or lower engine shield applications seen on anything in a crash repair shop for the last couple decades... temperature not really an issue. Second curiosity of mine is yeah do you get it at a sewing store, or? Completely different topic though, sorry about the mini-hijack.
That is no hijack. Completely pertinent. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else will.

I bought it at a company called Advanced Plastics. Their corporate office is in Nashville. You can look them up and see where they have stores in the southeast.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
I believe it's ABS, that black plastic material. Or polypropylene or something like that.
Check Jack's Caddy thread. AMS. He uses it in his build somewhere, I'm pretty sure.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Thanks guys. I can tell from the responses that what I am trying to suggest is probably not going to make it onto the build. Dropping the idea seems best. It took me an hour just to find one A project pic for a guy yesterday, for nothing. Gravel shields or buying wheels and tires to build around won't enter anyone's mind until it is polished and I have learned that presenting ideas to others can only be effective once the powers-that-be arrive at the question on their own. Attempting to plan something prior to that is a waste of effort.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt

5361 - 5380 of 5409 Posts