Hot Rod Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 5423 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,381
Well, I'm back in upholstery mode. The sewing table is set up again and I think my first project is to border the top well with Velcro. It came yesterday (ahead of the top) and seems to fit pretty well but wouldn't it be good to be able to unfasten it to facilitate replacing the pump. It is pretty well out of sight and I have a few days while I am waiting on the top to arrive.

Another loose end was wiring up the interior light. It wires through the rear bow.

As far as I know, the only thing left to do is route the hydraulic hoses properly. With a
ittle luck, I will make some stainless clips tomorrow and get that done.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,929 Posts
Good to see you enjoying the project again.

Reactions: John long

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
Damn, you are something else John, you have some super talent in this stuff for sure!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,384
LOL, You are the guy who just put on your own convertible top. Let's see how I do.........:unsure:

John

·
16,329 Posts
You will do just fine, you have a lot better understanding of the "cloth" stuff than I do!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,386
In preparation for installing the top, the hydraulic hoses needed to be routed and attached.

It was a simple thing to fuse two 3/8” clips together with myTIG, yielding me some double hose clamps. Not a big deal but I thought it made a neat (and free) way to route the hoses.

I also made four stainless retainers to hold the hoses out of the way behind the rear seat back support.

I still have not modified the top well liner yet so it can be held down with Velcro. That is my next step I think.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,929 Posts
Frugal Clips.
Almost sounds like a breakfast cereal.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,389
My top was shipped monday, to be delivered on Wednesday. It was lost Mondsy night after UPS scanned it in. It now shows to be found today so I giess it will show up next Monday.

I really hate it is going to spend an extra 5 days wadded up into a box but, it is what it is.

I have done the final adjustment on the top irons. The rear bow height is set and they are locked in place with balling wire and a couple of wood blocks.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,390
The top is here. I’m very pleased with the color and it appears it Is well made. Now, let’s see if I am good enough to put it on.

The top came from Kee Auto Tops. They failed to send the welt cord for the front of it, so, I will have to call them tomorrow. Surely it will be a non issue.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,929 Posts
Right on John.
I guess it's "some assembly required".

·
16,329 Posts
Just don't do like I did and over tighten it. I didn't listen to the recommendations and lifted up the frame off the windshield when I stapled the top to the header. I should NOT have done that, the top was too tight and very hard to close.

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,394
Just don't do like I did and over tighten it. I didn't listen to the recommendations and lifted up the frame off the windshield when I stapled the top to the header. I should NOT have done that, the top was too tight and very hard to close.

Brian
Thanks Brian. That make a lot of sense.
John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,395
I am about to get started on the top. UPS lost it for a couple of days and Kee did not send the header strip but that is all taken care of.

I have four different lengths of stainless staples. My glue gun is cleaned and full and all my centers are marked. Tomorrow I should be ready to start installing the pads and am really psyched up to get started.

I noticed with the new format here at HotRodder's there is no place to show a title for an individual post. I would be tempted to start a thread on installing the top but I really hesitate to do so, not knowing for sure how well I will do with it..........Tomorrow is the day! (y)

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,929 Posts
Hey, where's the drool smiley also?
OK, just pretend I gots my drool on and popcorn at the ready.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,397 (Edited)
I was able to get a good start on the top pads today. I think if I was going to do this again, I would be tempted to make the pads instead of buying them. These will be ok, I'm sure, but if I had made them, I could have made them to come down a little closer to the top frame and still fill up the indentions in the bows that are there for the pads. I suspect these are generic pads and not specifically designed for the 53-54 Chevy.

my first step was to staple the pads at the front and rear, pulling them tight and positioning them in such a way, they did not overlap the side rails.

Once the pads are stretched tight and wrinkle free I added the screws to bows number 2 and 3. They do not have tack strips but use 6-32 screw with little cone washers.

Once you are satisfied with the position of the pads, it's time to glue the 1/4” foam which will cover the screws and staples.

Now that your foam is glued in place, it's time to glue the top of the foam and close the pads up.

it

Finally, staple the ends again through all the material and trim them off with a sharp razor blade. The rh one is done but the lh still has a bit left to do.

·
16,329 Posts
And if you don't have stainless staples get them!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,399
Finished up the pads for the driver's side of the car today. These pictures may do a little better job of showing the process.

Pads above are opened up and being attached to each bow.

here the foam has been glued into the pads and they are being glued and folded up making the completed pad.

Once they are closed up they are again stapled and trimmed.

The quarter pads are finished but they do not go on until after the rear window curtain is installed.

Last but not least, I laid the rear curtain on the car and just temporarily attached it with clamps. I am cautiously optimistic that it is going install nicely. It looks surprizing good just sitting there.

With luck, maybe I will at least get the curtain installed tomorrow.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,400
It's kind of scary when you start putting the rear window in. At first it seems you never will get the wrinkles and puckers out of it.

I literally pulled out more staples than I left in when installing the window. It is really a dance to get everything pulled evenly, but the real secret to getting the end result you are looking for is heat. Lots of patience and caution with a heat gun really pays big dividends.

Installing the window was about a 4 hour job for me. I suspect I could do another one just like it in 2 1/2 but it still requires lots of patience.

Tomorrow, with luck, I will get the quarter pads installed

Does this or does this not look like a convertible top guru to you? 😋

John

5381 - 5400 of 5423 Posts