·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Yep, a real Geezer Guru...ha...

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,404
I laid in bed last night thinking. How exciting would it have been to be able to do and know the things we do now when we were 16 years old. My dad hated cars or anything that would dirty his hands. I had the will but no tools, no knowledge, no guidance, and no experience then. Just a strong love and interest in anything with an engine.

My life has been a really interesting journey. It saddens me that all I have learned to do and the satisfaction that goes with it will all be gone in just a few years.

But! ........ For now, I have more fun things to do! 😋

John

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I laid in bed last night thinking. How exciting would it have been to be able to do and know the things we do now when we were 16 years old. My dad hated cars or anything that would dirty his hands. I had the will but no tools, no knowledge, no guidance, and no experience then. Just a strong love and interest in anything with an engine.

My life has been a really interesting journey. It saddens me that all I have learned to do and the satisfaction that goes with it will all be gone in just a few years.

But! ........ For now, I have more fun things to do! 😋

John
Seems kinda futile sometimes , eh ?

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,406
Huh Oh. Put the quarter pads on today. They looked real good and I was pleased.

Unfortunately, when I layed the top on the car for a double check, I realized the groove in the tack strip was not for the pads but for the top itself. I may be proud of the pads but I don't think the rest of the world wants to see them.:unsure:

I will start pulling staples again tomorrow and lick my calf over again. At least it will be a simple and straight forward repair.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,407
The quarter pads have now been moved and I have started to staple the top itself on. The first thing that absolutely has to be done is positioning the dart in the top at the rear bow. That point is cast in concrete and can not move. That is why the height of the rear bow is so critical.

My next step was to pull the top forward and clamp it so I could work out the puckers and staple it at the rear body tack strip. As you can see, it appears to be going very well.

There is a tack strip at the front that a piece of welt cord staples to. The company failed to send the cord but I now have it. After pulling out enough stitches and trimming the sponge rod to the correct length, I stapled it on and trimmed the excess off.

Now with the top pulled forward and clamped again, I can get a pretty good feel for how things are going.

The truth is, I'm really excited about how this is working out. Unless things go south at the end, I am going to end up with a pretty nice top.

John

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Good to see it's working out even if two forward, one back.....

Reactions: John long
5401 - 5409 of 5409 Posts