Hot Rod Forum banner

5461 - 5480 of 5513 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,461
Looks like it will fit perfect from here... ;) and I'm sure it will.
I keep looking at the ash tray hole and thinking you should have left that solid. Since no one is ever going to smoke back there, the arm rest would be more comfortable without it...:unsure:
You make a very good point about the ash tray Mitch. I am still considering leaving it out. Filling the hole would not only be simple but would also make it easier to upholster

Probably the only reason I have moved forward with installing it is the fact that I already have two new ash trays sitting on the shelf.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,463
For sure. They would.

My problem is I am great at accumulating stuff. Not so much at parting with it.

I have a set of 50-60’s real tear drop spot lights still new in the box that some low rider in California would pay big bucks for. When I die they will get sold at my estate sale for $25 apiece. 😥

John

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Glad I could be a pest, I mean, of help, with this... ;)
My Camaro has the fold down rear seat with arm rest ash trays. When I restore the interior, I am going to fill the holes and have a solid surface on them too.
This is the first time i have been able to find your page since the change over,,you have accomplished a Lot,,what great work,,mabe i can follow along now again.,,,,Just me but i like the ashtray even though they will never be used,they just look right in a Classic car..keep them,,:unsure:,

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Good points both ways. That's all I'm saying on this one, ha....

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,476 (Edited)
The rear interior upholstery panels finally got finished and painted.

I used 3/16 landau top foam on the top of the arm rests and 1/8” on the side of them. After gluing it on, light sanding with 80 grit made them nice and level with slightly rounded edges.

Forgive the out of focus picture.

My French seams are usually not the greatest but these came out really well.

I needed to do these first so I could mark the foam on the side panels. That will allow me to stop the foam exactly where these come down to forming a "recess" for them sit in. The sides of the arm rests are 1/8” foam and the foam on the panels will be 1/4” making both pieces a little more equal height.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,479
Thanks guys.

With the arm rest in place the panel was marked, showing how far down the "cap" came. 1/4” foam was added and a groove cut for the seam that will be there.

Then I sewed the two colors together and glued them on the lower panel.

This is as far as I got. The cap is just sitting on and the foam is added to the upper section.

Remember also, there is a piece of stainless trim that covers the lower seam where the two colors meet. A second piece of stainless goes about 6-7 inches from the bottom.

I had a good day. It was hard for me to quit, knowing it would be next week before I got back to it.

John

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,376 Posts
My God you do beautiful work! Everything you do is top of the charts. If I ever need a surgery I will be calling you!

Brian

5461 - 5480 of 5513 Posts