Hot Rod Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 5513 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,481
My God you do beautiful work! Everything you do is top of the charts. If I ever need a surgery I will be calling you!

Brian

Just remember. You will be my first one. My second one is always better. 🙄

On a serious note. I know I post way too much information and most probably don't care exactly how I do things or what I did on a bi-weekly basis. The truth is, Barb requires 24 hour care and my shop time is very limited. On top of that, family and friends come by less and less, leaving me with a lot of time just sitting, keeping Barb company. The forum has become, not only recreational but somewhat therapeutic as it gives me an outlet for what ever feeling of accomplishment I get with the car.

Thank you to all who still follow this thread and give me a "like" or comment. It means more than any of you can possibly realize.

Johm

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,412 Posts
Your faithful groupy followers will ALWAYS care about your posts and you, especially with your home situation. Seeing you get a little "me" time and keep forging ahead is always inspirational to me, and I believe others as well.
I'll wait to be your third surgery victim...I mean patient... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
702 Posts
John, I always look forward to seeing your posts. I am always amazed at your many talents. I know you have your hands full with your bride's health issues, but you need a break, even a short one, to take care of yourself and recharge your own batteries. Keep charging on, Sir.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Love the details John! And God Bless you for attending to your bride's needs! Been following for years and you have inspired me to start a little metal crafting myself. Prayers for you and your family!

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,486
Love the details John! And God Bless you for attending to your bride's needs! Been following for years and you have inspired me to start a little metal crafting myself. Prayers for you and your family!
How cool is this. I'm not used to being a GOOD influence on anyone. 🤔

Be careful. The metal forming is addictive! 👍

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,487
I would be interested if any of you have better suggestions for fixing broken/rusted pins on the thin pieces of interior stainless trim. I fooled around with some of mine in front of the TV today.

Using some 1/16” welding rod, I bent a zig zag pattern and formed it to be a snug fit in the trim and the buried it in Epoxy cement.

Time will tell how it does. If this is not strong enough, I think I will try some stainless steel strips tapered on the ends to form pins or some 6-32 ss screws welded to strips which are epoxied in.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,488 (Edited)
Hey guys! Look what I just found at McMaster-Carr Inc!

I ordered a pack of each. It will be fun to play with them. I really think they can be roughed up with a cut off disc and epoxied in. They should be plenty strong to pull the trim up snug. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
318 Posts
I ground down the head of an 8-32 button head allen screw and notched the flanges off the trim to slide it in. I am working on 53 ford but trim looks very similar. Ford used little twist in clip that went in from behind the garnish moulding and grabbed the flanges of the stainless trim. Luckily I only had to replace 4 clips.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,490 (Edited)
I ground down the head of an 8-32 button head allen screw and notched the flanges off the trim to slide it in. I am working on 53 ford but trim looks very similar. Ford used little twist in clip that went in from behind the garnish moulding and grabbed the flanges of the stainless trim. Luckily I only had to replace 4 clips.
That is a good solution. Unfortunately, This inside stainless has no flanges. The sides are just straight walled, if that makes sense.

For the doors, studs are probably not going to work in some places due to lack of room. Back here around the rear seat area it is a hollow space and studs should work great.

Thanks for the idea. It is appreciated.

John

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,376 Posts
Just remember. You will be my first one. My second one is always better. 🙄

On a serious note. I know I post way too much information and most probably don't care exactly how I do things or what I did on a bi-weekly basis. The truth is, Barb requires 24 hour care and my shop time is very limited. On top of that, family and friends come by less and less, leaving me with a lot of time just sitting, keeping Barb company. The forum has become, not only recreational but somewhat therapeutic as it gives me an outlet for what ever feeling of accomplishment I get with the car.

Thank you to all who still follow this thread and give me a "like" or comment. It means more than any of you can possibly realize.

Johm
You are without a doubt the best teacher and the best man on any forum I have ever visited John! Prayers going out to you and Barb, I think about you two often. God bless you both!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,492
You are without a doubt the best teacher and the best man on any forum I have ever visited John! Prayers going out to you and Barb, I think about you two often. God bless you both!

Brian

Not even close. You are.

How about posting here where people can find your tutorials. There has to be people visiting this thread who could benefit greatly from your paint and body tutorials. I know I have many times.

Johm

·
16,376 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.

Brian

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Not even close. You are.

How about posting here where people can find your tutorials. There has to be people visiting this thread who could benefit greatly from your paint and body tutorials. I know I have many times.

Johm
You talking about me?..ha...I was just reading a "basics of basics" last week about bodywork.

·
16,376 Posts
You talking about me?..ha...I was just reading a "basics of basics" last week about bodywork.
What's funny is I wrote all those when I was doing it every day for a living. Now it's been so long I need to back and read them myself so I can do that stuff!

Brian:rolleyes:

·
16,376 Posts
Beautiful art!

Brian

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
You're right. I kept scrolling up and down to check the difference.
Awesome.

Reactions: John long
5481 - 5500 of 5513 Posts