Hot Rod Forum banner
5541 - 5560 of 5633 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,421 Posts
John the only thing that equals your metal work skills is your upholstery skills! HOLY CRAP what beautiful work! WOW! Can you do open heart surgery too?

Brian

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,450 Posts
Lastly, I started tearing down the old original door panels to salvage the stainless trim.
View attachment 615595

I needed to quit and clean up. I was invited to have dinner with friends who included me to eat at the Dockside Cafe on Chickamauga Lake. It was a nice evening for sure.

John
That one panel looks like you could save it...(y)
The other....not so sure.
Was Steve with on this outing ? I haven't heard much about him lately and was wondering how he is doing and what progress he is making on his project.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,544 ·
That one panel looks like you could save it...(y)
The other....not so sure.
Was Steve with on this outing ? I haven't heard much about him lately and was wondering how he is doing and what progress he is making on his project.
Steve has the body shell painted on the ‘51. I will try to take some pictures when I get up there.

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,547 · (Edited)
Door panel day today! Made some good progress.

I covered the clips with canvas so they would not poke out and show through to the front of the panel.

Next I glued 1/4” closed cell Landau top foam to the panel.

I re-installed the panel so I could mark where the garnish molding came. That allowed the foam to be trimmed perfectly along the lower edge hopefully allowing it to look somewhat sculped there. I sanded the "bumps" where the clips are under the foam with 80 grit paper to help hide them and then laid out my pattern.

Finally, I have cut my insert pattern out of the 3mm ABS plastic and glued 1/8” foam on it. After I cover the insert with the lighter color, I will mark the panel and cut out the foam, making a place for the insert. Both the panel and insert should end up 1/4" thick so the surface should be flush.

You can see the stainless laying on it in the next picture, showing where the trim will go once it is covered.

So far I am pretty excited about how it is working out.

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of "How The Journey is The Destination" 👍

John

Attachments

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,548 ·
More work on the door panel today. My first project was to cover the insert that I had padded with 1/8” foam.

First, had to cut my foe pleats into the foam. The factory had them vertical but I think they look better angled back parrallel to the stainless.

Once the vinyl was glued and pressed into the pleats it was wrapped around the ABS and stapled in place.

Now I can mark the 1/4” foam on the door board.

Then cut the shape of the insert out with a razor blade and remove the foam for the insert ro sit in.

And here is how far I have gotten. The insert fits nicely. Hopefully, I can cover the rest of the board tomorrow. I still have to repair some pins on my stainless trim and polish some of it too.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,549 · (Edited)
The panel is pretty well finished other than adding the stainless trim. It is not quite ready to install.

After I was confident the insert would fit well I glued the brown vinyl to the door panel.

I cut it where it needed to recess into the insert areas and used my brake tool to work the material into the corners. If you look closely, you can see a hole right at the front point of the insert. This is a new trick I just learned.

Once the recessed areas were ready I laid the inserts in and stapled them from the rear.

If you look closely, where I drilled that hole up front at the point, I have pulled through the excess material from the insert. This eliminates the problem of having too much material and no room to staple it.

Then it was just a matter of wrapping the door panel, stapleing it, and trimming off the access.

I like it a lot. Can't wait to get the stainless on it.

I also want to give some credit to John at "The Lucky Needle." He put together an auto trim course on line that has, I don't know how many hours of instruction. I told Barb I would like to take the course as my Birthday present 2-3 years ago. I think it was something like $139 bucks. Even though I have been doing my own upholstery for years, it was chock full of neat suggestions, like the hole to pass the access material through, I mentioned above. It certainly was well worth the money and I would highly recommend it to any one interested in doing their own work.

I am guilty of plagiarizing his work. I liked the interior he did in his course so well, I pretty much copied it with only minor changes. Since he is in California, I don't think there is any chance it will be an issue but I want to be honest and give credit where due.

LOL, I also sent John a message admitting to him I had, pretty much, copied his work. Hopefully he is flattered and not upset with me. 😏

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,550 ·
I couldn't stand being so close and not getting it done so I went back to the shop and finished it up with the stainless trim after I got home from eating out.

BTW, I got a very nice email from John Pollock at the Lucky Needle telling me he was flattered that I liked the design and was glad to see me use it. Pretty cool!

John

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Just stopped back in to check up on you and the '53 Belair John! Exciting to see the upholstery coming along, and not surprised to see how great you're doing on it! Can't wait to see it completed!!-Vall
PS-Was saddened to read of the loss of Barb also. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

·
16,421 Posts
Friggin ART!

Brian

·
16,421 Posts
Oh damn that's cool!

Brian

5541 - 5560 of 5633 Posts