Hot Rod Forum banner
5621 - 5633 of 5633 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you for all your hard work and sharing it with us. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in the 8 years since you started working on Precious, you may have posted a thousand pictures. I have enjoyed watching you progress and benefited from the knowledge in your post. In times that I would get burnt out on working on my car, reading your post would inspire me to return with a new perspective.
I know you will have a great time showing your work in person, again, great job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
john i hope you show people the before and after pictures so they will have a understanding just what you have accomplished. i could say a lot of things about you but two words come to mind, amazing person.you are truly an insperation to young and old about what hard work is about. i hope you keep posting new adventures about you and precious thanks for the ride regards Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just brought home a 1953 Chevy convertible Monday that is 100% there. 100% there except for the bottom 6 inches that is. I have always built rusty cars no one else wanted but have tried to do a quality job of repairing them on a budget.

The key wordhere is budget. I admit to being frugal but friends all say I am cheap. Whatever, for me to be able to enjoy this hobby I must be able to build the car and have my money invested, not just spent

The cost of replacement floor pans, floor braces, inner rockers, outer rockers, lower quarter panels, tow boards, trunk pan, rear pan extension, tail pan, and rear splash apron is well over 3000 dollars. That is money that will buy front suspension, rear axle, and good buildable engine. Maybe even a complete parts car.

I have basic sheet metal tools but nothing exotic. Small 3' brake, Shrinker/stretcher jaws, home made slip roll, and a home made english wheel and 110v mig welder.

My purpose here is to show the new hot rodder who is apprehensive about what he can do what is possible with a little time and patience and not much money.

Below is the patient. She has stage four cancer but we are going to try to save her. If we don't who will? :mwink:

So far I have stripped the inside, removed the front fenders and adjusted the doors. If the body shifts or moves during the build process I want to know it before everything gets welded together. Frequently checking door gaps will let me make sure it has not moved.

Tomorrow I plan to cut the toe boards loose from the front floor brace and expose the brace. The first job will be to remove the brace and reproduce it.

I hope you guys follow along and feel free to comment share thoughts, opinions, etc.

Well... It's a really nice car and I'm sure it'll look fabulous when completed. However.... Those floor pans and rockers are totally trashed. I wouldn't consider at all a type of repair. This is a 100% replacement from edge to edge. When you do the rockers, put the doors and fenders on and align them with the quarters before you do any cutting. That way you'll know if something is not right with the rockers. Also, it would be a good idea to weld in support struts after you've aligned the doors to quarters, fenders to doors. this will help to keep the body in alignment when the rockers are removed... Leave the doors on when aligning the outer rocker skin. Once aligned, use tech screws to hold it in place before tack welding. check door gap to quarter is still even then if all is good, then before welding, be sure the the rocker is parallel with the bottom of the door edge. Also, don't try to make the gaps abnormally tight. The door hinge geometry is not designed for 1/8in gaps. If that's what you're after? you will need to do much more to make that work.
Anyhow, that's my two cent... Have at it my friend!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,421 Posts
WOW! You just can't make this stuff up! You could get a team of Saturday Night writers together and not make up anything as wild and off the path than that Potmetal man. Is the "pot" in your name about smoking pot? Wild

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,421 Posts
AMAZING stuff John, I have said it before, this is the best build thread I have ever seen! First off, what AMAZING skills you have! Secondly what you would never see on another build thread, is how much of it you did! Come on, all the metal work and the interior, come on! AMAZING skills John, thank you so much for all the lessons and all the entertainment, serious, this is the best build thread I have ever seen!

Brian

·
Registered
155 Posts
John, even though your car is basically finished I hope you will still continue to post here. Even though most of us here haven't met in person we all feel like we are friends and want to hear about what is going on. I know that you have kept me going on my cars, I never would have finished my Nomad if I hadn't read your updates and said to myself, John would be able to do this, you try. Now I am working on a 56 Chevy 3100. You are the one that got me to buy the rotisserie that I did and to use SPI products. Boy was that a good decision.
Thanks for your inspiration.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,632 · (Edited)
LOL. You guys sure are gluttons for punishment…..I did my sun visors🤔

Ain't life just plum good. 👍

John

I still am intending to do some final pictures but just haven't done it.

I bought a 2016 Harley Electra-glide Ultra Limited a couple of weeks ago but had gotten so stiff in my hips while Barb was sick it hurt me too much to straddle it. I road it for the first time today for about 45 minutes.

After 5-6 years that first turn at the bottom of my driveway on a 912 lb motorcycle was a bit scary for this old 76 year old man. My new challenge is to get back in the groove on the bike.

5621 - 5633 of 5633 Posts