Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 5423 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was going to use the monte carlo front clip which is the same as a s10 just a little wider,,, But the front steering box would have been in the front pan infront of the rad..I read a few guy's on the hamb said they did it with the s10 clip and worked out nice.. I did a few clips with s10's and the steering box was always the problem... I did re-clip the front of a s10 race truck with a rack & pinion mounted in front instead of the box..Worked out great..

My coupe I sold a while back,, I just went install a Progressive Automotive
Mustang II on it... Worked out great... Very nice front end..

What's great about these cars is.. Once you unbolt the front end and take it out,,, It's ready for any mustang II kit... Very nice frame rails to work with..

Randy, that rack with the clip sounds interesting if the geometry works out. The image above showing how to correct the geometry (or narrow) a rack is interesting also. I have heard descriptions of doing that but it is the first time I have seen a picture. I did not really understand it before.

I think I'd use a subframe too those crossmembers with all the goodies are great time savers and look really cool but when labor is free,times not an issue and moneys tight, subframe it...I used a camaro subframe with 12" impalia rotors and Aframes and a 2000 camaro pwr rack (front steer) all from parts cars and cheap cheap, cheap,,,bagged it too.. the air bags were a buy i get i free so they turned out about 25.00 ea ....I dont see why it would be any harder than any other car..as long as the track width is close a little narrower would be better IMO...looks better when they're sittin on the ground....:mwink:
You and I think a lot alike Mike. I don't want the air bags for this car but would like a nice low stance and will probably do a mild C notch on the rear. Lots of time to take measurements. The M-2 certainly would be quickest, easiest, and narrow enough. The only problem is cost unless a low mileage unit falls into my hands. 100 dollars for a frame clip is hard to beat when the labor is free...IF IT CAN BE MADE TO FIT. :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Not really sure why they don't make a rack for this car.. But if you look under it where the steering bar all ties in in the middle, I can't see where one like this wouldn't work.... I was going to find out with mine,, But had to let it go before I had the chance to try it..

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
They have been done with camaro clip's,, But you can't turn when they are on the ground... The camaro clip's are to wide,,, The monte carlo front ends are not as wide... The s10 is a good clip if your ready to deal with the steering box...
the first thing I'd do is get rid of that steering box and put in a rack.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
the first thing I'd do is get rid of that steering box and put in a rack.
What ever I do the steering box has to go. As I remember a lot of guys used to use a cavalier rack with the original front end.

Brian posted that he had used a Camaro sub frame and it was a POS. I did not want to hijack his thread but wondered what it was he hated about it. I have also wondered what you would get into if you narrowed a rear steer clip before you installed it.

John

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
What ever I do the steering box has to go. As I remember a lot of guys used to use a cavalier rack with the original front end.

Brian posted that he had used a Camaro sub frame and it was a POS. I did not want to hijack his thread but wondered what it was he hated about it. I have also wondered what you would get into if you narrowed a rear steer clip before you installed it.

John
not sure what he didn't like about it,,, I had a truck just like his I put a camaro clip in mine and drove GREAT... Was worth every bit of the work to me... The truck didn't lean over when making a turn like it did before,,, Turn on a dime... I was hooked the first time a guy gave me a ride in his 1950 chevy truck with a camaro clip,,, Went home and did mine..... Loved it..Wouldn't have it any other way..;)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
not sure what he didn't like about it,,, I had a truck just like his I put a camaro clip in mine and drove GREAT... Was worth every bit of the work to me... The truck didn't lean over when making a turn like it did before,,, Turn on a dime... I was hooked the first time a guy gave me a ride in his 1950 chevy truck with a camaro clip,,, Went home and did mine..... Loved it..Wouldn't have it any other way..;)
Hopefully Brian will post here and elaborate. I have been pleased with all I have done. Admittedly, they are not beautiful.

John

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
I didn't like how it looked, and I didn't like how wide it was, I just feel it isn't the way to go. Handling, oh hell yes it would work good as far as functioning well, hell yes. I just didn't like how it looked and how wide it was. Cutting up the front rad support, I just didn't like it. It was like trying to put a size 12 foot in a size 9 shoe.

Brian

·
16,329 Posts
Just not my thing Randy, it looks as beautiful as you could possibly do one, but it isn't my thing. And on a 57 that is a whole different thing, especially the truck. Heck the frame width is almost identical, they work great from what I have seen on the 55-59 Chevy pickup. But on the earlier cars and trucks, they just don't do it for me.

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Brian has a valid point about them really looking tacky when one is installed that is to wide. That is a real problem with the shoebox Fords and early Chevies. The S-10 is 2 inches narrower than the 53 according to the Cranksheft Coalition. That part should be fine but the radiator support is a whole nuther issue. I don't want my steering box hanging out into the grill. before I am ready there will be plenty of cars at the shows I can look at. :)

I have a Buddy with a trashed S-10 frame. If the steering box is still on it I may run up and take some measurements.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Mr. John you can make them look nice... Here's one I did on my 57 chevy..
Just not my thing Randy, it looks as beautiful as you could possibly do one, but it isn't my thing. And on a 57 that is a whole different thing, especially the truck. Heck the frame width is almost identical, they work great from what I have seen on the 55-59 Chevy pickup. But on the earlier cars and trucks, they just don't do it for me.

Brian
Obviously what we are selling he ain't buyin. :D:thumbup::)

We'll see.

John

·
16,329 Posts
Obviously what we are selling he ain't buyin. :D:thumbup::)

We'll see.

John

And obviously it depends on what your build is all about. If you wanted the car to be a traditional 50's build then you couldn't use it because it didn't exist in the 50's. There are a lot of reasons why you wouldn't use one. And lots of reasons why you would, just as what color to paint the car or what motor, that's all. :thumbup:

Brian

·
16,329 Posts
The fact that we all like to do our own thing is why we are hot rodders and not antiquers, :thumbup:
Exactly. :thumbup: My God would it be boring to go to a show and see a building full of only what I like. Or more importantly what I think I like, I could see something someone else built that I never gave a second thought to and it's awesome! Of course this happens all the time actually, it's one of the reasons I go to shows.

Brian

Reactions: John long

·
16,329 Posts
I can't stress enough, it was a personal thing for what I wanted my truck to be. It's that simple, it's like I decided to put five spoke Americans on it, that's all.

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I finished fabbing the A pillar down to the top of the rocker. I need to slip the body mount and corner of the floor pan in before I go any lower.

I have started fabricating the mount but not gotten very far.

John

·
16,329 Posts
Looking good! I love that tool. :D

Brian

41 - 60 of 5423 Posts