Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 80 of 5647 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Did you get the rockers yet so you have something to aim the other pieces at ?
Both the rockers and my plasma cutter came today. The UPS guy looked just like Santa to me. :)

I spent the time I had today working on the front body mount. I will post some pictures. I made three designs before I got one that was acceptable. I have not drilled the mounting holes. I will do that after I get the inner rocker positioned so I can be sure of it's exact location. I also need to get some heavy material to reinforce it so it won't collapse when I tighten the body down.

Lots of welding left before it is one piece.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
frame strength

with that much body rust I am wondering how strong the frame is. And wondering why you didn't do it like your merc with a newer chassis-floor. I looked at a 58 Ford retractable hardtop convert that was in bad shape , rusted out like your chevy , and passed it by Too much work for me.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,429 Posts
If you enjoy the car after complete ,it is not to much work.:D
Honestly, sometimes building the car is joy more than driving it. It's like the old quote "The journey is the destination".

Brian

Reactions: John long

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
John, I see you have things completely under control. While reading through the posts, I had a thought reading all the options on clips, aftermarket pieces and your Mercury build. Would it be a reasonable thought worth any time to consider using a whole frame from a S-10 or other full frame vehicle (forgive me here, but what about a ranger? I think the track is maybe a little narrower than a S-10)? I'm just asking, because I have no specs on width of either frame, simply just a thought. I'm sure it would have to be shortened, I just didn't know if that would solve the issues with the clip width adn matching to the older frame. I have heard of people doing that with the older trucks to save time and money, don't know if it would be an option for the cars or not.

Kelly

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
John, I see you have things completely under control. While reading through the posts, I had a thought reading all the options on clips, aftermarket pieces and your Mercury build. Would it be a reasonable thought worth any time to consider using a whole frame from a S-10 or other full frame vehicle (forgive me here, but what about a ranger? I think the track is maybe a little narrower than a S-10)? I'm just asking, because I have no specs on width of either frame, simply just a thought. I'm sure it would have to be shortened, I just didn't know if that would solve the issues with the clip width adn matching to the older frame. I have heard of people doing that with the older trucks to save time and money, don't know if it would be an option for the cars or not.

Kelly
Thanks for the thought you have given this Kelly. The origional convertible frame has a massive crossmember under it. I really don't believe the bennefits would out way the work that would be required to do the frame swap nor do I believe the end product would be nearly as stiff as the origional frame.

John

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the thought you have given this Kelly. The origional convertible frame has a massive crossmember under it. I really don't believe the bennefits would out way the work that would be required to do the frame swap nor do I believe the end product would be nearly as stiff as the origional frame.

John

Like I said John simply just a thought. You could always set it on a shortened F350 frame:mwink:, with a nice powerstroke or maybe a detroit engine? :cool: (Just having a little fun.) Looking good so far sir. If you ever get bored give me a ring. I could use a man with your talent in my shop for a while, and i would only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive :thumbup:

Kelly

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Like I said John simply just a thought. You could always set it on a shortened F350 frame:mwink:, with a nice powerstroke or maybe a detroit engine? :cool: (Just having a little fun.) Looking good so far sir. If you ever get bored give me a ring. I could use a man with your talent in my shop for a while, and i would only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive :thumbup:

Kelly
Boy would you loose a lot of customers. When they got the 300 dollar labor bill for the 79 dollar brace, they would get real unhappy real quick. :D

Thanks for the kind words.

John

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
I've been watching your build and John, Kudos my friend...that was an ambitious build to say the least and I'm impressed with the quality of the work...excellent.

Oh, by the way, I love that metal bench...They come in handy more often than not.

Ray

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Here is the basically finished floor brace. The origional purpose of this thread was to show that a car could be built on a budget. There is 3 dollars worth of metal in this brace. It is built out of 5 small pieces of metal and the only tools used were shrinker/stretcher jaws and a mig welder. Of course I also used a 9 dollar die grinder and and my compressor.

The thing you must remember is I enjoy this. The fact that I have a ridiculous amount of time in it is irrelevant to me. I had fun :D

Beside the original one.

61 - 80 of 5647 Posts