Hot Rod Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 5610 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,041 ·
I bought it at ACE hardware but don't remember the brand name,but I think I might have saw non flammable on the can,
but that could be an advertising trick ,I think I might have some left I will spray some at a flame ,and also try to burn some that has cured ,
There is a good chance the propellant is flammable even if the foam isn't. What it does after it is cured is the important thing, don't you think?

John

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most of them use non oderized propane. You want to be careful blowing off a few cans at once. 2 oz's per can of propane for propellent. Ever since the gobberment banned using refrigerant. Blow off 3 cans in the shop and thats a half pound of propane laying around waiting for a spark. If that stuff doesn't get a full proper cure it will trap propane and lay in waiting for you to disturb it. If it is blown into a cavity I doubt the propane can all escape. Some of it will encapsulate and wait for you to disturb it.

I cannot advise you do the burn test while spraying a can. It could end badly.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
We have 2 more body mounts welded in tonight. The bottom brackets are permanently welded but the top plates are just tacked since they will be in the way when the floor board goes in and have to e removed again. The body is no longer sitting on wooden shims. :thumbup:

Tomorrow I hope to start drilling out the spot welds holding the convertible top well and rear seat support in. Once they are out of the way I can start to fabricate the floor boards from the rear axle to the B pillars.

I am glad to be back at work on the floors. :)

John

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You are doing a really great job,Johnm I enjoy reading post and having photos to see what you are doing really helps me ,and probably many others also .I like this post and wait for them daily , This and Brians post on the chop top on his truck as much as any I have seen since I have ben a member,,thumbs up to both of you .

David

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
It has occurred to me that Elvis and I have something in common on his birthday. We both "did it our way." Now, I am not suggesting I took this thing out the smart way but I was determined to take it out in tact with the idea I would re-use it. It is now so full of holes it is debate-able whether it will be wise to reinstall it. I have never seen so many spot welds in one panel. I will make that decision another day. :)

Removing the convertible top well and lower brace will be easily done and it will be time to clean the car up and begin to make the floor pans.

John

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
Do you have some wine to go with that Swiss cheese...:D

Nothing wrong with that panel. Weld the holes shut, knock it flat again and put-er back. You're just going to drill a bunch more holes to weld it in again anyway.

Must have warmed up enough to work again, eh ?? We got to 3° today. It's currently -8° again but tomorrow is the start of a 4-5 day warm up. We could go above freezing on Saturday...:cool:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,052 ·
Do you have some wine to go with that Swiss cheese...:D

Nothing wrong with that panel. Weld the holes shut, knock it flat again and put-er back. You're just going to drill a bunch more holes to weld it in again anyway.

Must have warmed up enough to work again, eh ?? We got to 3° today. It's currently -8° again but tomorrow is the start of a 4-5 day warm up. We could go above freezing on Saturday...:cool:
I may go with beer. I have a Fat Tire or a Blue Moon in there calling my name. It got up to 41 degrees today. I love beer during a heat wave. :)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·
I'd be more worried about the rust at the base of the convertible top well.
LOL. That is not a worry. That is a straight panel and will be replaced along with the entire convertible top well. That will be an easy straight forward repair.

Forming the compound shapes in the floor pans and making them look correct will be the challenge.

Replacement panels are available but I have commited to making them from scratch. The trunk floor has been donated to my cause by members of the forum and is much appreciated but my intentions are still to make the floor pans.

I did get a couple of pieces from Ebay that I am excited about. UPS came today!

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
It has occurred to me that Elvis and I have something in common on his birthday. We both "did it our way." Now, I am not suggesting I took this thing out the smart way but I was determined to take it out in tact with the idea I would re-use it. It is now so full of holes it is debate-able whether it will be wise to reinstall it. I have never seen so many spot welds in one panel. I will make that decision another day. :)

Removing the convertible top well and lower brace will be easily done and it will be time to clean the car up and begin to make the floor pans.

John

No, no, no John! Sinatra "did it his way". Elvis "took care of business" Phraseology at all times!

BB :nono::nono:

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
New parts look so much better on hardwood! Very Nice wood floors. LOL, I had it bad for installing raw hardwood for a lot of years, as a hobby.

I am not allowed parts in the house, but the wife never looks under the bed. I have a tailgate under the bed. That and some glass.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,410 Posts
New parts look so much better on hardwood! Very Nice wood floors. LOL, I had it bad for installing raw hardwood for a lot of years, as a hobby.

I am not allowed parts in the house, but the wife never looks under the bed. I have a tailgate under the bed. That and some glass.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, that's some funny stuff.:thumbup:

Brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been following this thread so diligently I've started looking for '53 Chevrolet coupes and I have a question. The ones I see have a couple of what appear to be large, tubular structures that flank the engine from front end to firewall. I don't see any connections between them and the engine, etc. so I can't figure out what they are, their function and could they be eliminated from a build without seriously compromising the integrity of the car. This would be a restomodl/hot rod build not a restoration.

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
I've been following this thread so diligently I've started looking for '53 Chevrolet coupes and I have a question. The ones I see have a couple of what appear to be large, tubular structures that flank the engine from front end to firewall. I don't see any connections between them and the engine, etc. so I can't figure out what they are, their function and could they be eliminated from a build without seriously compromising the integrity of the car. This would be a restomodl/hot rod build not a restoration.
Rocket tubes.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

1041 - 1060 of 5610 Posts