Hot Rod Forum banner

141 - 160 of 5357 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
Very cool, but John, how do we know YOU are doing this work? It may be your neighbors garage and you don't even own a car!

Hmmmmm

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Very cool, but John, how do we know YOU are doing this work? It may be your neighbors garage and you don't even own a car!

Hmmmmm

Brian
You know it may be a good thing David came up to see it. Without David (496Chevy3100) I would have had no witnesses. :D

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I can use the bead roller at work if I need one. Any brand you recommend for the shrinker/stretchers ??
I really don't know. I bought mine 25 years ago. They were one of the first sets I ever saw. I do know this though, you have to buy a set with 2 heads and not just 2 sets of jaws. You would go crazy changing out the jaws. Also, the guys with the foot operated ones really like them but I have gotten along well with my lever operated ones. The foot operation would let you use both hands which would be nice but you can live with out it.

Of all the metal working tools the jaws are probably the coolest thing I have.

John

·
16,296 Posts
Maybe you're in on this little charade David, huh? Yeah, maybe both of you guys are in an old folks home typing on a computer your grand kids got you so you would leave them alone and your room mates son is sending you photos to post, I'm on to you guys. :evil:

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
LOL. I guess we are caught David. Might as well confess.

David might not post for a while. He is chasing one of the nurses down the hall toward the alzheimers ward.

John

·
16,296 Posts
Those parts are looking awesome John. :thumbup:

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Today I welded a flange on the inner rocker to tie it into the outer rocker. The factory extended the floor pan out to the outer rocker and welded it to both the inner and outer. My way will make it less complicated. Everything will line up for welding and still keep it's integrety for strength.

I also plug welded the inner rocker to the new front brace and the Lower cowl assembly. This way the welds will not show as the plugs will end up inside the lower cowl assembly.

Next I temporarily installed the outer rocker. It is a little high in the rear but I have only tacked the inner back there so lowering it will be a piece of cake.

I put the front fender on and attached it with 2 bolts to locate the lower fender mounting hole. Now I can finish up the lower cowl and tack the outer rocker in place.

Once I get this all welded up I will replace the transmission tunnel. At that point it will be time to make the first floor pan. Ain't life just plain good. :)

John

·
16,296 Posts
Yes life is good John, if we are heathy enough to get out and work on are projects, life is DAMN good! And so is your project, that is really looking nice and I think you need to get an award from the Vintage Chevy of America club for saving that cars life!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Yes life is good John, if we are heathy enough to get out and work on are projects, life is DAMN good! And so is your project, that is really looking nice and I think you need to get an award from the Vintage Chevy of America club for saving that cars life!

Brian
Thanks Buddy. I really do get a kick out of saving one that nobody else would fool with. It must be the result of my inflated ego. Just want to prove it can be done.......

John

141 - 160 of 5357 Posts