Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buddy of mine has a 53 Ford flatty V8 complete with 3 carbs, intake, water pumps, Gen, Starter, clutch, bell, 3 speed tranny and overdrive. Pretty much drop it in and turn the key.

Thinking about getting it and just shoving it into the shed for awhile until the time comes to find a set of rails and old roadster. Maybe an abandoned project or something.
Is the 53 a good engine for an early roadster job?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I know that the 53, being the last year for flatheads, in the US anyways, makes them the most advanced. The old hotrodders always wanred to put the later models into the earlier bodies.

Guess it depends on what kind of deal you can get on it.

·
Ford Man to the bone!!!
112 Posts
If you are looking to build an Old School Rod, then nobody will care if it is a 32 or a 62. Any Ford Flatty is cool and since it has the 3 carb setup, it would be a cool setup. I say if the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I wouldn't pass it up but I learned some things the hard way when I bought a later flatty. They take up more room and are a bit more difficult to shoehorn into something like a model A. It would be am awesome engine for another shoebox car though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember someone telling me you had to change water pumps and headers to fit it between A rails, which would be my plan.
I really don't know much about these but hate to let it go being a complete running package. I could end up having the change everything just by not knowing so I was hoping to get some first hand experiences from someone.
I can get it for $1500, but I'd hate to have to change everything out later. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts