Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I'd like this thread moved to a build site if possible thank you.
The only "Build site" is the one thread on "What did you work on today" in the Lounge. Or you could post it in "General Tech" but usually posing the particular questions in the appropriate forum like engine questions in the engine forum that sort of thing.

Do you plan on rebuilding the motor or swapping in different motor? Rebuilding that one would be more expensive but in my opinion in your truck it would be the cool way to go. But it's all up to YOUR expectations as we all think differently.

Brian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be rebuilding the original engine (all numbers match) however I am looking to improve on the gear ratio in the diff 7.39:1 is a bit too low unless you can rev to about 20,000 RPM :D In answer to the length of box is on it it is actually 9'6" long inside. BTW anyone interested in building a rock crawler 4X2 ???. I got a bullet proof rear end I'll sell REAL cheap.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Cool looking truck, I like the old corn-binders. I don't know why more aren't hotrodded, unless it's difficult to stuff a SBC under the hood...:D

This is the proper forum for your truck, unless there's a tech question or some advice, we try to keep these topics in the Lounge. More folks will see it here also.

Start a journal. This will also get your pics posted on the main page of the site. It will be interesting to see the progress.

I didn't know gears that steep were installed on anything from the factory. Holy Cow!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back when this old girl was built you could get just about any gear set you wanted. I will be starting a build journal as soon as I get around to working on it again ( the engine is presently in the back of my '83 GMC for weight LOL)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As for your question about fitting a SBC in them it is easily done although a 5.0L Ford fits better. these old gems have plenty of room under the hood. Some people are dropping 7.3 Powerstrokes in them without modifying the bodies. The only issue most run into is the steering shaft getting in the way but this can be easily fixed by using U-joints and modified shafts/steering boxes.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
I will be rebuilding the original engine (all numbers match) however I am looking to improve on the gear ratio in the diff 7.39:1 is a bit too low unless you can rev to about 20,000 RPM :D In answer to the length of box is on it it is actually 9'6" long inside. BTW anyone interested in building a rock crawler 4X2 ???. I got a bullet proof rear end I'll sell REAL cheap.
Apparently those long boxes were popular on the ton trucks. My brother has a 50 Dodge with a nine foot box, I should measure it to see what it is exactly though. My 59 IH is a shortbox but it's only a half ton. I like the old IH's. I wish I could have bought my neighbors at his estate sale but I just didn't have the fiances at the time, he had the series that would be one before yours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Apparently those long boxes were popular on the ton trucks. My brother has a 50 Dodge with a nine foot box, I should measure it to see what it is exactly though. My 59 IH is a shortbox but it's only a half ton. I like the old IH's. I wish I could have bought my neighbors at his estate sale but I just didn't have the fiances at the time, he had the series that would be one before yours.
That would have been the L series 1950-52 :cool: BTW here in Alberta you can pick these up for under $750 easily Both mine were $500(R130) and $300(R160) I'm also working on getting a '47 Hudson I think I can pick up for around $500 with a very good body and glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been wavering on the rebuild of my SD220 engine from the R130. I am not sure whether that old slow turning, torquey engine is worth it. These engines have a red-line of 3800 RPM and put out 100 HP @ 3600 RPM These engines have a 3 9/16" bore and 3 11/16" stroke and weigh in at over 600 pounds bare. However they will pull up a redwood tree just as sure as I'm sitting here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I bought a donor truck for all the parts I want for my old 'Binder. I picked up a 1990 Ford F350 with a diesel engine, 5 speed tranny and decent rear end for $1000.00. The cab is pretty much rusted to hell but the mechanics all seem to work. He even threw in a pair of brand new batteries for me :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts
Cool build...Are you going to use the service box from the Ford too?

BTW, moving this thread to the new Builds forum

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I was in this thread so I have some updates to bring in. First I have the cab on the new frame ( I just didn't like the thickness of the original one) and am working on putting a new firewall and trans cover into it.

After working on these for a while I also started going through the wiring eliminating any circuits deemed unnecessary. My batteries will go onto the passenger side running board in an old metal tool box I found in a field. I'm still trying to figure out just how to utilize the hydraulic clutch so I don't have to stick the master cylinders on the firewall (I think that just looks tacky in a nice engine bay)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been busy getting the old girl ready for the road, new rear wheel cylinders, lines, master cylinder, (Front calipers are ordered) wiring, lights, and soon a new windshield. I have also finished repairing the rear floor where I had to make modifications for body mounts. The firewall is among the last parts to be fabricated now and I have to decide what to do about the rear (put the box on or flat deck it) as well as mounting the running boards. The list is getting shorter but it seems like I get something finished and some other problem shows up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.