Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
The cost of the work will depend on how much you expect to do yourself. If you take your car out ot a shop they will dig very deep in your pockets to make your car right. I am not sure what your talking about because the lowering and chopping the top is not on the same order as restoring it..two different jobs as a resto job is usually kept pretty well stock.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i meant was to restore it to make it drivable, not to make it how it was in 1954. but i want to make it drivable and look good with a chopped top and lowered suspension. i also want to do most of the work myself.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
54 and 55 Chevies where completely different. They had a big change for 55..............That company can probably get parts for your 54 though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you have any body/metal work experience? if not i dont suggest doing a chop yourself. if you do, or just want to try anyway, pick up a copy of Tex Smith's book called "how to chop tops". They chop a '54 hardtop but you could do it just as well with a post. unfortunately chopping cars like this takes quite a bit of work and lots and lots of planning. planning is the most important part. do you have tools to make new sheetmetal panels? there is alot more work involved than you may think.

lowering the car is much easier, put some lowering blocks in the rear and cut the coils up front.

it will cost some serious $$$ to have all that done at a rod shop

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some experience and some tools. Im just planning what im going to get carwise, and what looks cool or not. the reason i wanted to know was to get some ideas and how much it would cost. but im seriously looking into getting a '54 chevy and doing what i can to make it look good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.