Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a 605 power steering system in my 55 bel-air and would like to replace the old steering colunm with one from late model GM what model car am I looking for? I have automatic trans. console shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Someone here will probably be able to advise which modle has a column to fit. I did the same to my '55 several years ago and used a column from IDIDIT. Easy installation and fit great.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
GM made different shat input designs. 3/4" x 36 spline, 3/4" x 30 spline, 5/8" x 36 spline, 13/16" x 36 spline all show up on various steering systems. The 605 has a 3/4" x 30 spline input spline so you need to find a rag joint with that end. The way I would do it is measure the length of column I needed, list the features I want (tilt, column shift, etc.) then go to Pick-A-Part with tape measure in hand and find the perfect donor.

If you want to go the vendor route, Borgeson is the hands down best place to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's guys for your help. I apologize for posting this question on the intro page, I'll get the hang of this sooner or later. again thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put a 605 in my 59 Chevy 1/2 ton. I went to a wrecking yard and grabbed the best looking column that they had hanging in the shop. It was a buick, had tilt and cruise. Installed a new switch and cleaned it up.

I used borgeson joints and a double D shaft that I purchased from Zigs. I did not use a rag joint or vibration reducer because of space considerations, doesn't seem to matter.

I did have to replace one borgeson joint after only a few hundred miles. (The bearing cups are staked in, one came out) I installed an ididit joint. What a world of difference in quality and looks. I was impressed. the bearing cups have screw acting as a positive stop, a better design, IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts